University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Corrigan, Walter D., Sr. / History of the town of Mequon, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin, brought down to about 1870
([1950])

The county seat and county government,   pp. 13-15


Page 13

HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEQUON
INDIAN RELATIONS
There was very little hostility between the early settlers and the In-
dians. It seemed that the Indians desired rather to add to their comfort
than to annoy the settlers by hostilities. Solomon Juneau is generally
credited for this. His excellent management in respect to his relations
with the Indians established friendly feeling between the races. Juneau
was much beloved by the Indians and by the early settlers of this town-
ship and of this vicinity. It appears that no man other than William Penn
ever wielded in the settlement of America a more powerful influence or
established better relationships with the Indians. He dealt justly with
the Indians, and was regarded by the Indians as the agent of the great
father at Washington.
THE PIERS BUILT INTO THE LAKE
At an early day two piers were erected off the shore of the Town of
Mequon to be used for shipping wood before the highways were service-
able. They extended 300 feet into the lake, and were built on piles which
were driven into the lake bottom. These were used up until about 1860,
when the roads got better. One of these piers was built and owned by
Thiessenhusen in Section 20, the other one by Bernhard in Section 5.
THE COUNTY SEAT AND COUNTY GOVERNMENT
It is a tradition in this community that the court house of what was
then Washington County was once located on the Bonniwell place on what
is now Wauwatosa Avenue, the Bonniwell house being a short distance
south of where the Bonniwell school was then and is now located. This
tradition probably arises from numerous facts which we shall record.
Though in 1836 the seat of justice had been established at what was
then known as Wisconsin City, near the present city of Port Washington,
that place was very remote from the settlements then existing. Hence the
legislature provided that the county commissioners might hold their meet-
ings at the house of William T. Bonniwell. Pursuant to that provision, on
November 18, 1840 the first board of county commissioners met in the
house of William T. Bonniwell. At that meeting William T. Bonniwell of
this township was elected clerk of the board.
On February 24, 1841 a special meeting of the commissioners was held
at William T. Bonniwell's house, and the road districts were then laid out,
some of which were in Mequon. At that meeting William T. Bonniwell
was appointed road supervisor of the district which at least composed a
portion of the Town of Mequon. It was at one of these meetings in 1841
that the first application for a liquor license within this territory was pre-
sented October 11, 1841. The application was by Samuel Drake, but it
was postponed and never acted on. However, on October 18, 1841, seven
days later, John Weston was granted a license to keep a tavern.
It is to be noted that as early as 1842 the tax levy for the whole of the
then Washington County was but $2,100.23, and the total amount of school
money raised for the whole county was $257.49. It appears that on October
3, 1842, one Scheil Cass and one Samuel Place were paid $3 each for the
scalps of three wolves. The first coroner's inquest held within the county
was on October 3, 1842 over the dead body of one Jacob Kloppinburgh.


Go up to Top of Page