University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

Transportation,   pp. 424-429 PDF (1.6 MB)


Page 424


TIRANSPORTATION
                 COMPILED BY GEORGE BANTA, JR.
Railroads
CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY-The first railroad to reach
Neenah was the Chicago and Northwestern, which came in 1861 as a
part of the expansion of the road from Oshkosh to Appleton and
Green Bay. This road was a merger of the Galena and Chicago
Union and the Rock River Valley Union, which had been reorganized
as the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac R.R.
      Chicago & Northwestern Depot, at intersection of Commercial and
Railroad Streets.
  The first depot was located where the tracks intersect South
Commercial Street near the present plant of the Neenah Milk
Products Company (now the Galloway Company). The original
idea was to swerve to the west across the slough, and then go straight
south along the west shore of Little Lake Butte des Morts. The right
of way was constructed and the ties put in place to a point somewhere
near the west end of the present C.&N.W. bridge, when the protests
of Menasha residents, particularly the owners of the Menasha Wood-
enware Corporation, caused a change in plans. The line was re-
engineered to bring the tracks across the island in their present loca-
424


Go up to Top of Page