University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Zellie, Carole; Janesville Historic Commission / Look West Historic District : a guide
(1987)

Laurel Avenue,   p. 16 PDF (324.3 KB)


Page 16


LAUREL AVENUE
207 North Academy Street
(corner Laurel Avenue)
Green's Tobacco Warehouse
1900
See historic photo, page 5.
Myron F. Green's building served as a tobacco warehouse until the
1950s. The crop was sorted, cased and stored here. Although there
were nearly 30 warehouses in the city at the turn of the century, this
and the Sylvester Warehouse across the tracks were two of the few
structures originally constructed for the purpose of storing and
distributing tobacco. The Sylvester Warehouse burned in early 1987.
Green, who began his career as a farmer, resided at 325 N.
Washington between 1903 and 1925.
507
Chicago, Milwaukee, and
St. Paul Railroad Depot
1871
The intersection of Laurel and Academy was once a busy node of
passenger and freight railroad activity. Now one of the last remain-
ing railroad structures in Janesville, this brick- veneered depot was
originally constructed as one story and was later raised to two.
Between 1901 and 1926 it was used as the Fisher and Fisher tobacco
warehouse, and the brick addition fronting Laurel Street was made
ca. 1910.
603
Samuel Lightbody
ca.1855
Set back from the street on the slope overlooking the railyard, the
Italianate style Lightbody house retains its original attic-story win-
dows, bracketed frieze, and long narrow windows. Lightbody was
a Janesville banker.


Go up to Top of Page