University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVII: military record,   pp. 134-145


Page 134

CHAPTER XVII
MILITARY RECORD
In September, (Sept. 8 and 9) 1876, an organization was effected in Menomonie
of the survivors of the Civil War. A former history mentions a second reunion,
which took place on July 4, 1877, when the whole village participated. Governor
Ludington furnished the equipments, and the famous war eagle, Old Abe, was in
the procession, borne by David McLane, one of the soldiers who carried him through
the war. This organization had four or five reunions, after which its activities
ceased, the survivors of the war, or most of them, becoming members of the Grand
Army of the Republic.
While the Civil War was in progress an association called the Soldiers' Aid
Society, was formed and conducted by the leading wc jen in the town in accord-
ance with the purpose-indicated by its name.
William Evans Post No. 58, G. A. R., was organized Jan. 6, 1883. It was
named after Capt. William Evans of Company K, Fifth Wisconsin Infantry, which
company he raised, ranking as captain from May 3, 1861. He was mortally
wounded at Golden's Farm, Va., and died in a hospital in Philadelphia on July 28,
1862. Capt. Evans was a resident of Menomonie and all employee of Knapp,
Stout & Co., having come to Wisconsin in 1856. He was a native of York County,
Penn. He was succeeded in command of the ccmpany by Capt. John Milton Mot't,
who ranked from Sept. 1, 1862. Capt. Mott was taken ill while in the service
and died at Frederick City, Md., July 26, 1863. He had typhoid fever but was
recovering and being allowed outside of the hospital, he found some blackberries
in a wood, it is said, and having eaten too many of them, suffered a relapse which
proved fatal. In course of time William Evans Post attained a membershil of
270, a number that has since dwindled to a dozen or 15 through deaths and re-
movals. Some of the surviving members live out in the country, and usually there
are not more than five or six who now attend meetings, even of those living in the
city. The Post has occupied nicely furnished rooms in the Mabel Tainter Build-
ing ever since it was erected, this provision being made for it by the donors, Mr.
and Mrs. Andrew Tainter. Previous to that the Post occupied rooms on Main
Street in a building next to the Johnson building that was burned in May, 1924.
When the members were younger and still enjoyed vigor and health, the Post took
active part in everything relating to Grand Army affairs, sending delegates to the
annual national conventions, held successively in various cities, which occasions
were marked by a grand parade; also marching in Memorial Day parades, holding
camp fires in association with the Woman's Relief Corps, and taking part in other
public functions. But time has wrought its changes and the Post is no longer
active as such, though a few individual members have retained their faculties to
a fair degree and are still a power in their respective communities, where they are
honored for their civic and patriotic records. It is worthy of note that the Post's
first commander, Rock J. Flint, is now serving in that capacity.
Woman's Relief Corps.-A history of this organization was read on its fortieth
anniversary, held on Tuesday, April 25, 1925, by Mrs. Cora Steele, from which
the following account has been taken.
"After William Evans Post was organized on Jan. 6, 1883, a number of loyal
women decided to form an auxiliary. The first meeting was held at the home of
Mrs. Naomi Doolittle on Main Street on April 2, 1884, and the William Evans
Relief Corps No. 7 was organized. Officers were elected and installed. S. J.
Bailey, then commander of William Evans Post No. 58, assisted by R. J. Flint,
officer of the day, acted as instituting and installing officers. The meetings were
134


Go up to Top of Page