University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
([1970?])

Churches


cj~cfil
DALLAS LUTHERAN CHURCH
On October 8, 1892, at Dallas, a resolution was
passed and signed by thirteen men and their fam-
ilies to organize a congregation for the Dallas Lu-
theran Church. In December another meeting took
place and fourteen more names were added to the
list.
The first officers were Ole 0. Berg as Presi-
dent, H. E. Halvorson as Secretary, and Harry
Halvorson as Treasurer. Knute Espeseth, J. G.
Johnson, and Lars Larson were Trustees. Gunder
Lee, Even Erickson, and Edvard Gelstad were the
first deacons.
James A. Anderson's offer of lots for building
a church "across from the schoolhouse" was ac-
cepted. He also donated a pipe organ. The dimen-
sions of the proposed church were left up to the
architect and in 1893 the church was built. The
steeple was added in 1898, and the bell bought in
1902.
A. N. Granum was chosen to solicit for the
pastor's salary and Pastor A. J. Oerke was ac-
cepted in 1892 at a salary of $125 a year. He
served until 1895. If was through Pastor Oerke's
efforts that the work at Dallas was begun and
the congregation organized. Following Oerke were
Pastor Helmer Lurid from 1895 to 1913; Pastor
0. L. Kirkeberg from 1913 to 1919; Pastor A. 0.
Running from 1919 to 1938; Pastor Hi. S. Froiland
from 1939 to 1956 and Pastor D. A. Boffien from
1956 to 1964. The present pastor is Lyle Ness.
The Male Chorus


Go up to Top of Page