University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Ehlert, Edward / Manitowoc County Historical Society: occupational monograph 17, 1972 series. The history of Manitowoc's secondary schools

Manitowoc County Historical Society: occupational monograph 17, 1972 series. The history of Manitowoc's secondary schools,   pp. [1]-[14] PDF (7.6 MB)

Page [1]

   The history of Manitowoc's Secondary
 Schools prior to 1910 is contained in the
 publication   entitled, "History   of
 Manitowoc's    Southside    Schools,
 1850-1910," authored by Joseph Rappel
 in 1966. We shall only summarize in this
 monograph the important facts as they
 relate to the early years, and shall refer
 you to the publication named for the
        School District Number
            One is Formed
   "School District Number one      in
 Manitowoc  County   was formed     at
 Manitowoc Rapids. Manitowoc School
 District number two was created on
 petition of Manitowoc south siders and
 granted by the township board in 1850.
 District Number two encompassed all of
 the Manitowoc township south of the
 river, and westward to the boundary line
 between  Manitowoc   and   Manitowoc
 Rapids. It was commonly referred to as
 the First Ward School. It was called the
 Southside High School until 1910 when it
 was renamed the Lincoln School. After
 the new Lincoln High School was erected
 (1924) the building was officially named
 the Roosevelt School." (From "History
 of Manitowoc's Southside Schools," by
 Joseph J. Rappel, p. 1.)
   We shall continue by quoting from this
same publication (pp. 5-6), "The First
Ward School was a grade school until
1870. Advanced    classes beyond the
eighth grade were offered soon after the
1870's to those interested in teaching or
the professions. Many advanced students
took the teacher's examinations offered
yearly by the County Superintendent of
Schools as soon as they had completed
the eighth grade. Three grades of teaching
certificates good for one or more years
Were issued. It was possible and quite
common for a person to be an eighth
grader one year and a teacher in the same
school the year following.
   It was not until 1875 that a petition to
establish a free high school in the district
Was approved by a 26 to 2 vote. This
action did not institute a four-year
course, but made possible the offering of
a  few    advanced   subjects and   the
employment of a qualified high school
teacher who was for several years the
principal of the school. It was not until
1890 that anm assistant was employed.
After the introduction of high school
classes, the First Ward School became
known as Southside High School, the
name it retained until 1910, when the
Manitowoc Central High School began in
the Third Ward building. The school was
placed on the state accredited high school
list in 1905."
           Each Ward Has Its
         Own Elementary School
   When Manitowoc became a city in
 1870 there were four wards. In the years
 following three additional wards were
 added. Each ward had its own elementary
 school. These schools were known as:
   First ward (until 1910) ... First Ward
 School; then Lincoln School until 1924,
 then Roosevelt School.
   Second ward ... Madison School.
   Third ward ... Washington School.
 Later  Central High     School, then
 Washington  School again, and    then
 renamed the J. Q. Adams School.
   Fifth ward ... Cleveland School.
   Sixth ward ... Luling School; later
McKinley School.
   Seventh ward ... Garfield School.
      School District Consolidation
   "School district consolidation   in
Manitowoc was proposed as early as
1869. The four districts, facing building
needs, proposed unification, but the
proposition was defeated by a landslide
   Sporadic efforts were made during the
ensuing decades to accomplish this move,
but it was not until the early 1900's that
a second attempt was made. Henry
Stolze, one of the most active advocates
of consolidation, introduced a resolution
at the First Ward annual district meeting
in July 1900, petitioning the Manitowoc
Common Council to take the necessary
steps leading to a referendum on the
question of school district consolidation
in the city. The committee of five
appointed could report no favorable
action at the next annual meeting, but
continued pressure was applied to get
Council action.
   In the 1905 annual school meeting,
 William Rahr introduced an application
 to the Common Council and the town
 board to unite all school districts in the
 city into one joint school district to be
 known as Joint District number one,
 Manitowoc, with the view of establishing
 one central high school. The proposition
 was approved by the First Ward voters by
 a vote of 52 to 8. The Common Council
 and  the town   board   approved  the
 application and set July 28, 1905 as the
 date for the special school meeting for
 the purpose of voting on the question of
 changing the old district system to a
 unified city system.
   Opponents and proponents of the
unification plan began bombarding the
electorate   with   circulars, charts,
pamphlets, news articles, andi -mass
meetings to present their views. Although
the First Ward voters voted in favor of
the change (103 to 12) the plan was
defeated by a vote of 1,275 to 1,009. The
closeness of the vote encouraged the
advocates of consolidation to put the
issue before the voters again. The next
special election at which this issue was
voted upon was on November 9, 1909.
Consolidation of school districts to form
one school district for high    school
purposes carried by a vote of 1,297 to
118. In April of 1910, the first School
Board of seven members was elected. It
consisted of Dr. Louis Falge, Judge Isaac
Croite, Frank Miller, Henry Vits, Albert
Schuette, Henry Wemecke, and L. E.
Geer. Unification became effective on
July 1, 1910, and supervision -of the
Manitowoc city school passed out of the
hands of the County Superintendent of
Schools and into the hands of the City
School Board."    (From   "History  of
Manitowoc's     Southside    Schools,
1850-1910," pp. 9-10)
       MONOGRAPH 17
                1972 SERIES
                                               by EDWARD EHLERT

Go up to Top of Page