University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Johnson, Dwight A. (ed.) / Wisconsin alumnus
Volume 51, Number 5 (Feb. 1950)

From governor's mansion to graduate center,   pp. 5-7


Page 6


     (Continued from page 5)
  $ The entire area will be devel-
oped as a graduate center.
  The Wisconsin Graduate school
does not now have a "home." Yet
with nearly 3,000 students, it is one
of the leading centers in the world
for the training of young men and
women for advanced research and
teaching. In 1947-48 only Harvard
university exceeded Wisconsin in
number of PhD degrees granted.
  0 The executive mansion will be-
come a residence hall and seminar
center for a selected group of grad-
uate students.
  Quarters for a number of students
can be arranged. They will work to-
gether and exchange ideas and prob-
lems.
   $ The center will be a memorial
to the late Kemper K. Knapp.
  The Knapp committee has recom-
mended that the center be named in
Kna~pp's-1. honor.. A - stit ablqeý -plaqe
will probably be installed.
   * Quarters may be provided for a
Knapp Visiting Professor.
  A portion of the Knapp fund in-
come is used to bring to the campus
outstanding scholars and leading
public figures. The governor's man-
sion may be used to house these visi-
tors during their stay on the cam-
pus.
   * Dormitories may be built on the
property.
  The estate has a frontage of 165
feet on E. Gilman, a Lake Mendota
frontage of 190 feet, and an average
depth of 300 feet-allowing room for
new buildings for single and married
graduate students.
   * The historic mansion will be
preserved for the citizens of Wis-
consin.
  Praised by architects for its "per-
sonality and distinction," the man-
sion was built in 1854. At one time
it was the American home of the
famous Norwegian     violinist, Ole
Bull. Since 1882 it has been the
residence of Wisconsin's governors.
It is planned that additional gifts
and grants will be solicited to pur-
chase period furniture.
   "Purchase of the former executive
 mansion allows an initial attack on
 one of the important and difficult;
 problems facing the Graduate
 School," Dean C. A. Elvehjem said.
   "We need an opportunity for out-
 standing students from the various
 fields to meet together often so that
 they can become acquainted with the
 goals, problems, ideas, and philoso-
 phy of students in other specialties.
 They will become acquainted with
 the attitudes of others in a friendly
 manner and thus prepare themselves
 for leadership in the future," Dr.
 Elvehjem declared.
   Prof. Marvin A. Schaars, chair-
 man of the Knapp committee, made
 this statement:
   "The Knapp committee, in recom-
 mending to the Regents the purchase
 of the governor's mansion, felt that
 6
the acquisition of this property could
constitute the nucleus of a graduate
student housing center so essential
in the expanding program of our
Graduate School.
  "A graduate student center within
easy walking distance of the campus
is urgently needed. While the com-
mittee is primarily interested in see-
ing a dormitory for graduate stu-
dents erected on the lakeshore end of
the property, and is hopeful that
other property may be acquired for
a similar purpose, it is also inter-
ested in preserving for the citizens
of the state the historic mansion
which has served as the home for
governors of our state for the past
67 years."
  George I. Haight, Wisconsin alum-
nus, Chicago attorney, and former
colleague of Knapp, advised the com-
mittee that in his opinion use of
Knapp fund income for development
of a graduate center is in keeping
with the Knapp will.
  Other Knapp fund income is cur-
rently being used for loans, scholar-
ships, lectureships, and special proj-
ects.
Gifts and Grants
  The March of Dimes, the govern-
ment of France, the Wisconsin
Alumni club of Dayton, a former
member of the Board of Visitors,
and one P. A. Narielwala of New
Delhi, India, were among the list of
persons and organizations whose
gifts and grants of $84,389.48 were
accepted by the Regents recently.
March of Dimes
  Largest grant ($25,915) came
from the National Foundation for
Infantile Paralysis; it will be used
to support studies on how nutrition
affects resistance to polio.
  Polio researchers, headed by Dr.
A. F. Rasmussen, Jr., will concen-
trate their efforts on determining
how a deficiency or an excess of vi-
tamins, minerals, and amino acids
affects the resistance of laboratory
animals to experimental polio.
  Previous results, Dr. Rasmussen
notes, indicate that although a vi-
tamin B-1 deficiency has some pro-
tective effect for mice, it apparently
does not influence the course of the
disease in monkeys. Wisconsin scien-
tist will attempt to explain this dis-
crepancy.
  The March of Dimes, incidentally,
has backed nutrition studies at Wis-
consin continuously since 1941.
Munitions for Cancer Fight
  Largest gift ($30,000) was given
for cancer research at the McArdle
laboratory. The sum came from the
Alexander and Margaret Stewart
trust.
  Alexander Stewart was prominent
many years ago in lumbering activ-
ities in the Wausau area and his
daughter, Margaret, was born in
Wausau and died in Washington,
D. C., in 1946. It was she, a long-
time resident of Wisconsin, who di-
rected the income from her estate be
used to help fight cancer.
For "Deserving Women"
  Last February, Mildred L. Har-
per, '91, died and left the University
$3,000 to be established as the Caro-
line A. Harper scholarship fund in
memory of her sister. Last month
the Regents accepted the money
which will be used to earn interest
for awards to "deserving women of
high scholarship."
   The Harpers have been identified
 with the state and the University
 since 1848, when Moses Harper and
 his wife came to the territory the
 day before it became the state.
   Miss Mildred and three brothers
 were  University  graduates. She
 earned her BL degree in English in
 1891, and her master's in 1896.
 Charles L., LLB'98, was a prominent
 Wisconsin educator for more than
 70 years; Samuel A., LLB'81, one-
 time US district attorney, was a law
 partner of Robert LaFollette, Sr.;
 and Dr. C. A. Harper, '89, was for
 many years state health officer.
   For 50 years Mildred and Caroline
 Harper lived in the family home at
 610 Langdon St., which was a cen-
 ter for University faculty and stu-
 dent organizations and social affairs.
 The massive rosewood desk which
 was prominent in the furnishings of
 the house was willed last February
 to the University for use in the
 president's residence.
          WISCONSIN ALUMNUS
        ACTION
   At their January meeting, the
 University Board of Regents:
   1. Approved purchase of the
 former governor's mansion on
.....Lke Mnota. Theproperty will
be developed as a graduate stu-
dent center.
   2. Accepted $84,389.43 and
 other valuable it e m s as gifts
 and grants.
   3. Ratified plans for a new
 Athletic Practice building north-
 east of Forest Products lab.
   4. Awarded an emeritus pro-
 fessorship to Richard E.
 V a u g h a n, retiring extension
 plant pathologist.
   5. Granted a half-time leave
 to commerce Prof. W. D. Knight
 to enable him to direct research
 on the state tax system.
   6. Proclaimed a resolution on
 the d e a t h of former governor
 Julius P. Heil.
   7. Passed on dormitory class
 quotas for next fall.
   8. Recognized a new student-
 faculty advisory committee.


Go up to Top of Page