University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin alumni magazine
Volume 14, Number 7 (April 1913)

Alumni news,   pp. [372]-376


Page 373


CLASS NEWS
        Saratoga Springs, iNew York, and
        Miss Lorinda Ocella Salisbury. Dr.
        Rastall was associate professor of'
        business administration of the exten-
        sion department of the University of
        Wisconsin, and later director on the
        state board of affairs. He is now
        -coiineetedwiththe   usiness-Menls
        association of Duluth, where the cou-
        ple will make their home.
 1908. On March 8, at the home     of the
       bride's mother, Mrs. Annetta Smith,
       in Racine, Wis., Maud E. Smith, '08,
       was married to Dr. Harris A. Bolton,
       a graduate of the College of Physi-
       cians and   Surgeons at Baltimore.
       After a   wedding trip through the
       South, Mr. and Mrs. Bolton will be at
       home to    their friends in- Warm
       Springs, Montana, where Dr. Bolton
       is head physician in the Montana
       State Hospital.
 1909. In Shawano, Wis., on February 14,
       took place the marriage of Miss Ger-
       trude Magee, daughter of Mr. and
       Mrs. C. W. Magee, to Arthur Prehn,
       '09, of Wausau. Mr. Prehn is a mem-
       ber of the law firm of Gorman and
       Prehn at Wausau. Miss Magee is a
       member of the Alpha Chi Omega so-
       rority.
 1909  On March 8, in Chicago, occurred the
       marriage of Harriet Harding, '09,
       and Wellington Jones of Chicago,
       who was formerly of the. geology de-
       partment of the faculty of the Uni-
       versity of Chicago and for the past
       two years has been on a geological
       survey in South America. Mrs. Jones
       is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma
       sorority.
1909. The wedding of Paul F. Watrous,
      secretary of the Wisconsin Industrial
      commission, of Milwaukee, to Jane
      Gapen, '09, Chicago, daughter of the
      late Dr. Gapen, Madison, took place
      on February 8, in Chicago.
1910. Announcement has been made of the
      marriage of Amy G. Bossom, '10, to
      Roy A. Young, on December 2, 1912,
      at Calumet, Michigan, where the
      couple will reside.
1913. Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Larson of Chi-
        cago announce the marriage of their
        sister, Miss Sara Reque of Madison,
        to Theodore Waller, '13, of Spring
        Valley, Wis. The couple will reside
        in Columbus, Ga.
        ---- THE--CLASSES-
                   1862.
   I. N. Stewart of Appleton, Wis., repre-
 sents the First district of his county in the
 Wisdonsin Assembly.
                   1876.
   J. W. Hiner, who went abroad last sum-
 mer, is spending the spring months at Nice
 in southern France. Mr. and Mrs. Hiner re-
 mained in London during the fall, and went
 from there to Paris, where they passed .the
 winter. They will remain at Nice unitl May,
 and then go to Switzerland for the summer.
 -Stoddard Jess of Los Angeles, Cal., is now
 serving his second term as president of the
 Los Angeles Clearing House Association. He
 removed to Los Angeles in the spring of
 1904 and since has been vice-president of
 the First National Bank of Los Angeles.
 He is also a director of the Los Angeles
 Trust and Savings Bank.    Mr. Jess was
 chairman of the Los Angeles committee that
 succeed in consolidatng the cltes ofi an
 Pedro and Wilmington with Los Angeles,
 thereby giving the latter control over the
 harbor. He was president of the harbor
 commission for several years.
                   1883.
  Professor Florian  Cajori, dean  of  the
school of engineers of Colorado College, has
announced his discovery of the "ancestor"
of the American dollar mark, in the Popular
Science Monthly. He informs us that the
dollar mark is the lineal descendant of the
Spanish abbreviation C"Ps" for "Ipesos,"
or Spanish dollars, and it came into being
as a result of the business dealings con-
stantly in progress between Spanish-Ameri-
cans and English-Americans during the days
before the Revolution. The earliest known
use of it was in 1775, but it was seldom
used until after 1800.
373


Go up to Top of Page