University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin alumni magazine
Volume 14, Number 7 (April 1913)

Bardeen, C. R.
Medical supervision at Wisconsin,   pp. [354]-359

Page [354]

                   DEAN C. R. BARDEEN
         HE work of the depart-
         ment of clinical medicine
         in the medical supervision
         .of the care of student
         -health incieased so rap-
         idly  after" its establish-
         ment in February, 1910,
that -the Cornelius House, in which
offices were first fitted up, soon
proved wholly inadequate. The Re-
gents, therefore, in the spring of
1912, assigned to the department the
attractive house on the lot on Lang-
don street recently purchased from
Mr. Olin, next the President's house,
and appropriated fifteen thousand
dollars for alterations in this house,
for the building of an addition for
offices and laboratory and for equip-
ment. The new addition which ex-
tends toward Lake Mendota from the
back of the Olin house, is sixty-six
feet long, thirty-six feet wide and
consists of a high, well lighted base-
ment and one story above this. It is
of fire-proof construction, with mono-
lithic floors, rounded corners, and
other devices for insuring hygienic
cleanliness. The main floor of the
new addition was completed and fur-
nished during the Christmas vaca-
tion and is now used in conjunction
with the first floor of the main build-
ing for the chief work of the medical
adviser and his staff.
  The specious hall in the main build-
ing has been converted into a central
office. Here the students apply for
assignments to the various members
of the medical staff, records are kept
of the case of each student and there
are a telephone exchange and a buz-
zer system commmunicating with the
various offices in the building. From
the central office there open out a
commodious waiting room for men
and one for women, a private office
for members of the staff and the
main clinical laboratory. It connects,
by a corridor with the central corri-
dor of the new addition. There open
six rooms on each side and at the end
of the corridor toward the lake there
is another room. Ten of the rooms
are fitted up as examining rooms.
Each of these rooms is suitably
equipped with white enameled metal
furniture made by the Scanlon &
Morris Company of Madison, the
leading manufacturers of hospital
furniture. The   examining   rooms
are arranged in pairs, each physician
on the medical adviser's staff having
two rooms in charge. Thus while
one student is preparing for a medi-
cal attention in one room, the physi-
cian can attend to another in the
next room. Far more prompt at-
tention than hitherto can thus be
given to those seeking medical ad-

Go up to Top of Page