University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Animal disease lab,   pp. 234-235


Page 235

istration (WPA) project. The emergency board was the state mechanism to fund the University during
the depression. The regents voted to approve the construction of the new lab near the serum plant to be
built and furnished with emergency board funds.2
The plans for the building as drawn by state architect Roger Kirchhoff, show a 40 by 97 foot
wood-framed building, with a basement, one floor and attic, asbestos shingles, and a hipped roof with
dormers. The resemblance of this building to a residential house of the same period is not accidental;
the labor to erect the building was to be supplied by the WPA, and this is the kind of residential
construction with which the WPA crews were familiar. Work began in March 1939.
University directories show the veterinary control lab at 2115 Linden Drive (later named
Herrick Drive) from 1943 to 1966. A new crematorium addition was built in 1956. In the 1960s the
state department moved off campus, and in 1966 the building was remodelled for the use of the Food
Research Institute. It remained in this use until 1975, when Food Research moved to Elm Drive, and
the building was reassigned to Horticulture, who with entomology remain there to this day.3
1) Wisconsin Blue Book, 1940, p. 274; Christensen to Peterson, December 27, 1939, series 24/1/1 box 145,
Christensen folder; notification of emergency board appropriation, December 28, 1938, series 24/1/1 box 146,
emergency board folder.
2) Regent's Minutes, January 17-18, 1939, p. 303; Christensen to Peterson, December 27, 1939, series 24/1/1 box
145, Christensen folder; Christensen to Hiestand, December 28, 1938, and Christensen to Petersen, December 27,
1938, series 24/1/1 box 145, Christensen folder.
3) Plans on file at the plans room of the physical plant; Christensen to Petersen, December 27, 1938, series 24/1/1
box 145, Christensen folder; Wisconsin Blue Book, 1993-1994, p. 402-407; Madison city directories, and University
directories.
235


Go up to Top of Page