University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Meat and muscle lab,   pp. 223-224


Page 224

one and a half story, 40 by 60 foot rectangle just to the west of the stock pavilion. The basement
held cattle pens, feed storage rooms and holding pens; the first floor contained labs, offices, an
autopsy room, and refrigerated cool rooms. The first bids on the equipment for the building were
about $1000 over available funds and were rejected by the regents on June 20, 1931. After
respecification by the college of agriculture, the equipment was rebid in August 1931, and satisfac-
tory bids were received. The building went into use in the fall of 1931.
The second section was designed by the staff of the Agricultural Engineering department in
January 1959. It was entirely devoted to meat science. It was 'L' shaped on the east and north sides
of the existing building, measuring 77 by 73 feet on the east side and contained meat processing labs,
offices, coolers, slaughter rooms.3
The third and last major addition was for muscle biology research, and was designed by the
state department of engineering in April 1969. It was a 76 by 82 foot section built onto the east of
the old part of the building. It contained biochemistry labs, coolers, offices, and instrument rooms It
was built by Anthony Grignano and cost about $625,000. The designers used some curved brick
shapes on the south side of the building to break up the extremely blocky shape of the building.
Unfortunately, the effect on the appearance is minimal when seen from the south, the only side
usually visible.4
1) Bohstedt, Gustav, oral history, University Archives; H. L. Russell to Glenn Frank, June 15, 1930, series 24/i/ box
3. Peabody to Phillips December 2, 1930, archives series 24/1/1/ box 63; Regent's Minutes, June 21, 1930, August 6,
1930; Peabody to Phillips, December 2, 1930, series 24/1/1 box 63.
2) Minutes of the Executive Committee, March 27, 1931.
3) Files of the department of planning and construction, blueprints in physical plant plans room. Regent's Minutes,
May 9, 1959 exhibit B.
4) Files of the department of planning and construction, blueprints in physical plant plans room; Regent's Minutes,
April 19, 1968, December 6, 1968, July 25, 1969, exhibit A.
224


Go up to Top of Page