University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Horticulture,   pp. 133-136


Page 134

Fig. 2. Horticulture after
the addition of the
Agronomy wing (Moore
Hall), on the left. c. 1932.
The tower at the junction of
the old building and the
addition, disguises the fact
that a three story addition
had been put on a two story
building. [series 9/3 Horti-
culture, jf-38]
1911, the project was delayed by a metal worker's strike. In late August the strike was settled and
work resumed. Final trim work in the horticulture building was started during October, 1911, and
equipment for the departments was ordered, as were furniture and electrical fixtures. Peabody's
November 1911 report says that the building is "rapidly approaching completion. Varnishing and
painting have been going on steadily during the month." The lowest bid for equipping the laboratories
was awarded to J. H. Findorff. The bid requires that the basement laboratory be complete by Decem-
ber 1,1911. The date of completion was about December 1, 1911.3
The completed building was two full stories and an attic in height, 48 feet X 128 feet, built of
brick, trimmed with Bedford limestone, and a brown glazed tile roof. [see Fig. 1]. Interior trim was
of blue-veined Italian white marble. Floors were of concrete with linoleum covering. Total cost with
furnishings was about $60,000. Alden Aust credits the design of the building to James Law, an
employee of Mr. Peabody's office, calling it a copy of the Russell Sage Foundation Hall in New York
City.4
As often happened when planning facilities for new departments, particularly in the college of
agriculture, the new building was too small for its purpose. Dean of agriculture Russell's first report
to the regents after the completion of the horticulture building says: "The extremely rapid develop-
ment of the plant pathology work has already made it necessary to proceed with the finishing off of
the attic for student use, and add another greenhouse for the existing needs of the department.'5 The
pent-up demand for the study of horticulture and plant pathology quickly swamped the new facility;
also the space vacated in King Hall was insufficient for the soils department which also needed a
larger facility within a few years.
The planning for further expansion began almost immediately after the new horticulture
building was opened. In his 1913 report to the regents dean Russell explains: "The work of this
department [horticulture] has been of inestimable value to the upbuilding of the agriculture of the
state. Its importance is such and the need for adequate quarters so imperative that the consideration
of this problem should receive the attention of the coming legislature." Russell describes the extent of
the crowding, "The total student registrations have increased from 23 [in 1909-19 10] to 211 in 1913-
1914 ... The situation with reference to greenhouse space is as badly congested as is laboratory and
class room space." As a solution dean Russell proposes to build a wing on the horticulture building to
134


Go up to Top of Page