University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Old education,   pp. 90-92


Page 92

Fig. 2. Summer of 1900,
probably taken from the
roof of Science Hall.
North Hall and the
Bascom Hall dome
appear in the background.
[series 9/1, Education,
x25-351]
to name the building after him, but no official action was ever taken. Much needed room in Science
Hall was opened up after engineering left in 1900. A new standard for speed and efficiency of con-
struction was set, and possibly never exceeded. But the rise of engineering as a university pursuit was
too swift even for the new building. By 1910 the building was too small. For some unknown reason,
possibly the replacement of Jennings by Arthur Peabody as architect, the first addition was built on
the west side rather than the east side8, with its already begun basement level. While this five-level
addition alleviated crowding for a while, it was decided that in the future engineering would be given
a large group of buildings on the western end of the campus. In 1933 the first of those buildings
(Mechanical Engineering) was completed and the engineers began to move out of the Bascom Hill
site. Almost immediately interior modifications were made to suit the needs of the incoming Educa-
tion department. In 1951 the last of the engineers left the building and in the next three years substan-
tial remodelling was done to accommodate the Education department.9 This included the construction
of some small one-level workshops in the back of the building, used as workshops for some craft
classes of Art Education. It is an interesting detail that Art Education was following the engineering
department a second time, having inherited the old machine shop buildings from engineering when the
Bascom Hill site opened in 1900.
1) Laws of Wisconsin 1899 chapter 239
2) The list included Ferry and Clas (Milwaukee), Henry Koch (Milwaukee), A. D. Conover (Madison), Charles Frost
(Chicago), Van Brundt & Howe (Kansas City), and many others. Executive Committee papers May 20, 1899, Regents
Report, 1900 p. 22.
3) Daily Cardinal, February 1, 1900 p. 1.
4) Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, December 1900 p. 110-111
5) Regent's Report, 1900 p. 8;
6) The Wisconsin Engineer J. B. Johnson, June 1900 pp. 119-131; Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, March 1900.
7) They are: Bessemer, Reynolds and Gramme on the east; Ericson, Kelvin, Rankine and Siemens on the south; Henry
Corliss and Telford on the west. Only Reynolds, a Wisconsin man at the Allis works in Milwaukee was a living
engineer at the time.
8) Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, October 1909; The Wisconsin Engineer, 1909-19 10 vol. 14, p. 43..
9) Regent's Minutes, February 9, 1952. p. 12.


Go up to Top of Page