University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Dairy Barn,   pp. 85-86


Page 85

DAIRY BARN
Fig. 1. The Dairy Barn shortly after
completion in 1898. Much detail, includ-
ing cupolas, silo windows, the north side
window pattern, and assorted trim, has
been lost over the decades. [series 9/3
Dairy Barn,jf-24]
The Dairy Barn was built in 1897 with $19,000 in state funds obtained by Dean
Henry. The silo was an early experiment in round silo design. The building has lost
some detail and been added to over the years, but is still sound, and is now in limited
use for animal experimentation.
In 1895 as a result of lobbying on the part of dean of agriculture William Henry, the state legisla-
ture appropriated $5,000 for the construction of a dairy barn for the university experimental
station. Dean Henry felt based on his examination of barns at other colleges, that this amount
would not build a barn suitable to the kind of instruction and research envisioned for the university.
Henry decided to hold off on construction, and in 1897 a further appropriation was made and Henry
began to plan the new barn.
Henry employed J. T. W. Jennings, a Chicago architect, who had already designed King Hall
and the Agricultural Heating Station. The interior layout of the barn was done by members of the
faculty and staff, particularly by Franklin Hiram King, whose developments of farm building ventila-
tion and the use of the tower silo have become standard practice throughout the world. Construction
was begun in 1897, the building was finished in time for classes in the fall of 1898 at a total cost of
about $19,000. The contractor was J. H. Stark.
Jennings designed the building's exterior to emulate the style of barns in Normandy. The main
building was 50 X 96 feet, three stories high above a high basement. Two 40 by 70 foot one and a
half story cattle stable barns projected toward the south from the east and west ends of the main barn.
Between the two stables and connected to the main barn was a two story stock judging barn. The fact
that the barn was lighted with electricity in that long ago day caused amazed comment.1 Other fea-
tures of the building were an office and apartment for the director, and a long steel ramp on the west


Go up to Top of Page