Salisbury, Albert / Historical sketch of normal instruction in Wisconsin
Chapter III. The board of regents, pp. 31-36
32 SKETCH OF NORMNAL SCHOOLS IN WISCONSIN. The board is a body corporate, and has full control and direction of the locating, building, supplying and operating the schools, of the school property, and of the income of the normal school fund, but not of the fund itself, which is under the control of the "commissioners of school and univer- sity lands." The members of the board receive no compen- sation for their services except for "specific service rendered under the direction of the board, other than attending the meetings* thereof," and actual expenses in attending the meet- ings or performing other service directed to be performed. The president of the board is required to make a bien- nial report to the governor of the state, and an annual re- port to the superintendent of public instruction, giving a de- tailed account of the doings, expenditures, etc., of the board. THE ORIGINAL MEMBERSHIP OF THE BOARD. The original board was appointed by Governor Coles Bashford in 1857, and consisted of the following members: Edward Cooke, J. G. McKindley, A. C. Spicer, Alfred Brunson, Noah H. Virgin, J. J. Enos, S. A. Bean, M. P. Kin- ney and D. Y. Kilgore. The first meeting was held in the assembly chamber, at Madison, on July 5th, 1857, when the oath of office was ad- ministered by Associate Justice A. D. Smith, of the supreme court. The officers elected were: Rev. Martin P. Kinney, of Racine, president; Dr. Edward Cooke, of Appleton, vice-president; D. Y. Kilgore, of Madison, secretary. This board proceeded with its duties through the remainder of the year, though the members had been appointed after the adjournment of the legislature, and so not confirmed. Janury 28, 1858, their names were sent to the senate, for confirmation, by Governor A. W. Randall. On February 12, the senate proceeded to confirm the appointments indi- vidually; but after several had been confirmed, the whole matter was reconsidered, and the entire list was returned to the governor with the information that the senate refused to confirm, on the ground that the members were not properly distributed throughout the state. Perhaps there was some other reason back of that. On February 25, 1858, Governor Randall nominated an entirely new board, as follows: Terms expire January 1, 1859-C. C. Sholes, Kenosha county; Julius T. Clark, Dane county; L. H. Cary, She- boygan county.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright