University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Haney, Richard Carlton / Campus cornerstones, University of Wisconsin--Whitewater : biographical sketches of the people for whom buildings & facilities are named
(1997)

[Biographical sketches of the people for whom buildings & facilities are named],   pp. 2-120


Page 6

RSEN 1891-1979
!gents 1947-60
3   Additions 1965, 1970
Harold G. Andersen helped carry the
books from the old university library, on the
third floor of the Old Main building, to the
newly constructed Andersen Library when
the move was made in 1953.
Harold Andersen was a lifelong resident
of Whitewater who was born in the horse-
and-buggy era and lived to see astronauts
walk on the surface of the moon. Known
throughout Whitewater as "Colonel"
Andersen, he was a member of the
Wisconsin Army National Guard for several
decades. He served in both the First World
War and the Second World War, when he
was stationed in Australia. He retired with
the rank of Colonel.
Harold Andersen graduated from the
Whitewater Normal School in 1917. He
worked in the First Citizens State Bank in
Whitewater from 1912 to 1974, in every
conceivable role. As President of the
Citizens Bank, he was among those who
developed the merger with the Whitewater
First National Bank in 1931 to form the First
Citizens Bank. He served as President of the
Bank from 1935 to 1961 and as Chairman of


Go up to Top of Page