University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Hove, Arthur (ed.) / Wisconsin alumnus
Volume 64, Number 8 (May 1963)

The University YMCA celebrates its centennial,   pp. 19-[20]


Page [20]


The present University YMCA, at the corner
of North Brooks and Johnson Street, has been
in service since September of 1953.
gym in the area where the Union
parking lot now is. Finally, in 1952,
the Board of Directors and Trustees
called for the construction of a
seven-floor residence and program
facility on North Brooks, two blocks
from the center of campus and near
to the growing edge of the campus
south of University Avenue.
  Today the building is a center for
group meetings and     activities, a
home of study, worship, social action
and recreation, a men's residence
hall and commons.
  Though the early fundamentalists
might not approve of some of the
programming, the programs have
been designed to interest students.
Through the years, discussions of
personal philosophies of life, social
issues, dating and marriage, and
political and religious forums and
seminars have been held.
  The "Y" on campus pioneered in
working with international students
and continues to provide a special
program of interest to the temporary
citizens of the University commu-
nities, arranging for foreign students
to Visit in the homes of small town
and rural people to provide a new
perspective on the country they are
visiting. Many foreign students live
in the YMCA building on campus,
and many of them have taken re-
sponsibility for major programs. The
current president, Mahendra Hun-
dal, is an Indian graduate student.
  During its long existence, the Uni-
versity "Y" has depended on its
alumni, many of whom attended the
dinner, for financial support to con-
tinue its program. Recently, the
Community Chest and the Campus
Chest have provided resources for
the campus-wide program. Member-
ship contributions and foundation
grants have provided a base for
bringing outstanding speakers to the
campus under the auspices of the
  Many University faculty members
have been related to the university
YMCA, first as students and then
as members of the Board of Direc-
tors and Trustees. From their ex-
perience on "Y" councils, committees,
and with programming, many for-
mer students have gone into pro-
fessional YMCA work in the United
States and foreign countries. About
40 students have become profes-
sional YMCA secretaries, and many
more have entered the ministry and
related fields.
   Robert Schumpert, general secre-
tary of the association since 1940,
sees the "Y's" second century on the
campus as offering even more op-
portunities for service. Schumpert
received a citation in recognition of
his work at the dinner, as did F. 0.
Leiser, finance chairman in the drive
to build the first building.
   Speakers at the program included
 Fred H. Harrington, University
 president; Mayor Henry E. Rey-
 nolds; John Wyle, YMCA area coun-
 cil executive; Prof. J. Kenneth Little,
 chairman of the university YMCA
 board of directors; Prof. John Guy
 Fowlkes, chairman of the board of
 trustees; and Dean Kurt F. Wendt,
 a trustee.
   Narrators for the program were
 Dean Wendt; Dean of Men Theo-
 dore Zillman; George Gurda, Resi-
 dence Halls; Prof. Marvin Schaars,
 agricultural economics; and Prof.
 Glenn Pound, plant pathology. Re-
 presenting the community were
 Lowell Frautschi and Rabbi Max
 Ticktin.


Go up to Top of Page