University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Richard, George (ed.) / Wisconsin alumnus
Volume 59, Number 2 (Oct. 1957)

The Arboretum,   pp. 18-22


Page 19


the
arboretum
Natural beauty and scientific value
    are combined in this
open laboratory of
    native Wisconsin landscapes
13
12
Photography is by Gary Schulz.
    This article is drawn from a new publication The University of Wisconsin
Arbore-
tum, and Wisconsin's Renewable Resources, both by James A. Larsen, and The
Prairie
and Its People by Martha S. Engel and Andrew W. Hopkins.
communities were destroyed forever.
  A hundred years later the finality of
this destruction is being challenged by
planned restoration of the native land-
scape in several Wisconsin areas. Among
the most notable is the University of
Wisconsin Arboretum.
  Here, within a few miles of the cam-
pus, may be found not only a wide va-
riety of native vegetation, but many of
the birds and mammals native to the
Wisconsin Alumnus, October, 1957
state. Some plots, too, have been devoted
to outstanding horicultural varieties
adapted to the Wisconsin climate.
  The University Arboretum project,
while appearing as an idea in earlier
years, got its real start in the mid-
1920's, when an ardent Madison attor-
ney and conservationist, Michael 01-
brich, '02, was named to the Board of
Regents. He immediately began pressing
for a "University of Wisconsin Arbore-
tum and Wildlife Refuge . . . a conser-
vation laboratory ... a central storehouse
of information and service administered
under University auspices to further and
encourage the conservation program
throughout the state."
  Original land acquisition funds were
accumulated from the Madison Parks
Foundation, which Olbrich had organ-
ized, and from the Stephans Tripp
Fund. Tree plantings were begun in
19


Go up to Top of Page