University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin alumni magazine
Volume 1, Number 4 (Jan. 1900)

Progress of the University,   pp. 162-165


Page 164


  164                Wisconsin Alu
  dents at the World's Fair was one
  point higher thn the average score
  of all other exhibitions on cheese
  from Wisconsin. At least eighteen
  gold, silver and bronze medals have
  been awarded to dairy students by
  the various dairy associations, of this
  country. In 1896, at the Wisconsin
  State Fair, eleven out of a possible
  sixteen premiums were won by our
  students. They have won a long list
  -of first prizes and sweepstakes pre-
  miums from the different state fairs,
  dairy conventions and agricultural
  shows in all parts of the country.
  Over one hundred letters of in-
  quiry are received annually by the
  school from persons wishing to hire
  some kind of dairy help. These ap-
  plications call for instructors in the
  dairy schools of other states, cream-
  ery operators, cheese makers, pas-
  teurizers, milk testers and managers
  of private dairies.
    Twenty-six professors and college
  graduates have taken the work in
  the school to prepare themselves for
  more efficient work for giving in-
  struction in other agricultural col-
  leges. in addition to these, eighteen
  teachers have been furnished from
  our former students to give instruc-
  tions in dairying in the dairy and
  agricultural colleges of fourteen
- states outside of Wisconsin, thus ex-
  tending the work of the school across
  the  continent from   Vermont to
  Washington, while the alumni are
  scattered in nearly every state in the
  Union.
    At the present time, at least 141
  creameries and 149 cheese factories
  in Wisconsin are being operated by
  former students of the Dairy School.
     NEW ENGINEERING BUILDING.
     The Board of Regents met De-
  cember 22, and approved the plans
  for the new engineering building, as
mni Magazine.           [
drawn up by supervising archi-
tect Jennings and Dean Johnson.
The plans provide for a hydraulic
gray brick building to be,,erected on
the upper campus, between Science
Hall and North Hall, the main en-
trance facing the south. Owing to
the steep slope of the campus here,
a sub-basement will be made under
the basement proper. There will be
three main floors and an attic draw-
ing room, the latter lighted from
above by skylights, making in all
four floors. As planned, the building
will cost somewhat less than $100,000,
which was appropriated by the last
legislature. Bids for contracts will
be advertised for the early part of
January, and contracts will be let be-
fore the opening of February, the
building to be erected ready for oc-
cupancy by October 1, 1900. The
board extended a vote of thanks to
Architect Jennings, Dean Johnson
and the members of the engineering
faculty for the excellence of their
plans. The approval of the Governor
having been secured, the building is
now certain to be completed.
   THE ENGINEERING COURSES.
   The total number of engineering
students this year is almost fifty per
cent. greater than ever before, the
numbers for the past four years be-
ing as follows: 1.95 in 1896; 209 in
1897; 220 in 1898, and 310 in 1899.
The Dean     announces that it is
hoped that the next legislature will
authorize a course in chemical en-
gineering, and perhaps also a course
in architecture.
      FACULTY MOVEMENTS.
  A number of the members of the
Faculty attended the meetings of
learned societies this vacation. Pro-
fessor Ely, Director of the School of
Economics, Political Science and
History, who has been on a tour -of
[January


Go up to Top of Page