University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim (Writer) / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Engineering building,   pp. 262-264


Page 264

Fig. 4. Engineering c. 1965.
East and west wings complete.
This is the completion of the
X     ~      , original design for the building.
Mechanical engineering, and old
forest products lab are in the
foreground, Camp Randall
stadium in the background.
[Series 8/6,jf-63]
et. al, for the center arm of the east 'E' (see Fig. 3). Funding was from the surplus in the west wing
fund and a loan from WARF to the WUBC. After the first round of bids came in, the regents upped
the amount of the WARF loan to $500,000 for a total of $885,000. In March of 1951, the regents
signed contracts worth $885,000 for the construction of chemical engineering section. The general
contractor was Harold Purtell Company of St. Paul, for $449,000. Construction on the 50 foot by
100 foot basement and three story building was started in the spring of 1951 and finished about a year
later. The engineering building now had the configuration shown in Fig. 3.5
Throughout the 1950s the departments of civil engineering and engineering drawing had
remained in the temporary buildings erected in the post war era. Finally in 1962 the regents autho-
rized a $2.9 million dollar project to complete the east wing of the building, with a portion of the
funding coming from the Nation Institute of Health and the National Science Foundation. The
general contractor was the Vogel Brothers Building Company for $1.27 million. Construction was
begun in June 1962 and was dedicated on April 30, 1964. After this phase the building was as shown
in Fig. 4. The architects for this section were still the original Foeller et. al. After this project most
departments abandoned the temporary buildings.6
In 1990 the need for more office space and the long term lack of quality lecture halls in the
building led to the construction of yet another section. This time the center court was filled in. Archi-
tects Bowen, Williamson and Zimmerman with Foeller et al. designed the $26 million dollar addition
and remodelling. The general contractor was Kraemer Brothers for $8.135 million. This final section
of the engineering building (see Fig. 1) was finished in mid 1993.7
1) The Wisconsin Engineer, Dean M. 0. Withey December 1946, May 1941 p. 4, October 1948, p. 6; Wisconsin State
Journal, December 17 and 18, 1944; Milwaukee Sentinel, March 24, 1947; Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, March 1947,
p. 10, July 1949 p. 32, February 1951 p. 26; Building needs of the College of Engineering, series 24/1/10 box 2.
2) E. B. Fred, Address to the faculty, October 4, 1948; Regent's Minutes, October 28, 1944 series 4/16/5 box 5;
3) Withey and Kurt Wendt Memorandum on the steps which led to the Engineering Building, series 8/1/16 box 16.
4) Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, June 1951, p. 18. Jon M. Harkness; Electrical Engineering at the University of
Wisconsin, 1991 p. 68. Regent's Minutes, December 11, 1948; Capital Times November 27, 1948;
5) Peterson to Fred, August 30, 1950, series 4/0/3 box 182; Regent's Minutes, April 15, 1950, June 15, 1950; Executive
Committee minutes, March 7, 1951;
6) Regent's Minutes, April 6, 1962 exhibit G, February 9, 1962; Wisconsin State Journal, June 26, 1962; Wisconsin
Alumni Magazine, November 1962; Daily Cardinal, April 30, 1964.
7) Regent's Minutes, September 8, 1989, December 10, 1993; State Budget Letters, dated February 14, 1991.
264


Go up to Top of Page