University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim (Writer) / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Temporary buildings,   pp. 256-257


Page 256

TEMPORARY BUILDINGS
Fig. 2.The temporaries come down, T17, in
1. The temporaries go up, T15 & T16, in        1962. [Series 9/3 Temporary Buildings, ns-
1946 [Series 9/3 Temporary Buildings, jf-62]  3040]
The temporary buildings were barracks and offices transported from U. S. army
bases, principally Camp McCoy to be erected on the University campus in the sum-
mer of 1947. Twenty seven temporaries were built in clumps scattered around cam-
pus. They were demolished as new permanent buildings took their places. Afew
"temporaries" still survive, mostly on the engineering campus.
he largest enrollment increase in the history of the University came in 1946, when fueled by
the influx of returning WW II veterans, the number of students attending the Madison campus
in the spring semester of 1946 was 99 per cent higher than the previous year, and 25 percent
higher than the previous record high.1 This meant that 12,400 students attended the Madison campus
that semester. In the face of this enormous rise in attendance, the regents instructed the steering and
master plan committee to report the best solution available to the problem of securing emergency and
temporary classroom and office space.
In October of 1946 the regents hired architects Weiler and Strang to furnish services needed
for the removal of twenty six government buildings from "Camp McCoy and other bases" and their
re-erection on the Madison campus. These buildings which had been army barracks and office build-
ings, were declared government surplus, and offered to other government bodies free of charge.
Wisconsin was the first University in the country to file a request with the Federal Works Agency for
surplus army buildings.2 The principal job of Weiler and Strang was to plan for foundations and the
running of utility lines for the temporary buildings. The locations of the buildings were selected by the
campus planning committee. This committee in the person of Mr. Leroy Luberg reported the selected
locations to the regents in December of 1946.3
The locations are a good indication of the trends in enrollment of the new influx of students.
By far the heaviest concentration of temporary buildings were on the west end of campus, in the areas
256


Go up to Top of Page