University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

University Press,   pp. 241-242


Page 242

Fig. 2.University
Press Warehouse,
S1995. [Author
Photo, AP-21]
The current house at 817 W. Dayton replaced amuch earlier one. Members ofthe Law family, who
produced architects and mayor James Law and his brother Edward lived in the house for40 years. This
house contains the periodical functions ofthe Press.
The oldest of the three houses is the one at 811 W. Dayton. It appears in the 1902 directory as
a familyhome, andpasses through severalhands, including congressman John M. Nelson, before its pur-
chasebythe WUBC in 1962 from Donald and Lorraine Tobias. It houses the editing and marketing arms of
the Press.
The largest house, 807 W. Dayton was the most recently built, first appearing in the 1914
directory. By 1920 the house was the property of the Endres family and stayed in the Endres family
until its sale to the WUBC in 1962. This house contains the administrative offices of the Press.2
The warehouse is sixty by seventy feet of two stories and a basement, and was built in 1927 by
the Trachte Brothers for Mautz Paint and Glass. Mautz sold the property in 1937 to Max Weinstein.
Over the years a number of one story additions have been made to the rear ofthe building. The prop-
erty included the building and a adjacent parking lot. Weinstein and other members of his family
formed General Beer Distributors in 1945 and the warehouse was used by this corporation until the
death of Max Weinstein in 1951 at which time the warehouse was appraised at $45,000. The
Weinstein family sold the warehouse to the WUBC in January 1962 for about $190,000. The WUBC
immediately transferred the title to the regents. The University Press uses the warehouse for shipping,
receiving and storage. The bookkeeping function are also housed in offices in the warehouse, as is a
small store that sells the books distributed by the University Press.3
The University Press has not been especially happy in its Dayton Street quarters. Two major
objections are periodically voiced. One is that the old houses are inadequate to the task of housing the
staff and their work. The second is that the quarters are old and shabby and make the Press look like a
poor step child of the University. Suggestions have been made to house the Press in the University
club, and in the old bank building at Park Street and University Avenue. Plans for the construction of
the Kohl center may require the relocation of the University Press.
1) Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, January, 1950 p. 10-11;
2) University directories; Madison city directories.
3) Papers of the regents in regent's vault, deed folder 457. Regent's Minutes, January 5, 1962.
242


Go up to Top of Page