University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin

Old McArdle laboratory,   pp. 238-239

Page 238

Fig. 1. The
McArdle labora-
7' Itory building c.
1942. Later con-
struction added
two floors to the
building. [Series 9/
4, MeArdle, jf-59]
The original McArdle laboratory was built in 1939 withfunds from the estate of
Michael McArdle (O1). It remained the site of the McArdle laboratory for cancer
research until the erection of the new building in 1965. The old building is now part
of the medical sciences complex.
erious cancer research began at the university with the 1934 bequest by Jennie Bowman of
$420,000 for cancer research in memory of her father, Jonathan Bowman. The regents used
the income from the Bowman bequest to hire several young and promising researchers, rather
than spend the whole income on a single "name" professor. Among these bright young men was
Harold P. Rusch, later director of the department of oncology, which formed around the cancer
For the first four years the Bowman researchers and their animals were housed in a few small
rooms on the second floor of the Service Memorial Building. In 1937 with the encouragement of
dean E. B. Fred, and Dean Middleton, plans began for a larger space, but no funds were available in
the depths of the great depression. Fred and Middleton inquired without result, into the possibility of
funding from the recently formed Federal program, the National Cancer InstitiuteI
In April 1935 a Chicago businessman named Michael McArdle (UW class of 1901) died and
left in his will the sum of $10,000 and residuary estate to the university to be used for study and
research work in cancer. According to Harold Rusch, no one in the medical department knew about
the existence of this money until the spring of 1938, at which time the value of certain stock in the
estate was much increased and the total worth of the grant was brought to the attention of medical
dean Middleton. Harold Rusch, with the backing of dean E. B. Fred, and professor Walter Meek, was

Go up to Top of Page