University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Orthopedic hospital,   pp. 221-222


Page 221

Fig. 1. The Children's hospital, from Linden Drive c. 1932. The Kennedy Memorial was added
to the top of the wing at the left of the picture in 1963. [series 9/4 Orthopedic Hospital, jf-56]
The orthopedic hospital was built in 1930 as a dedicated hospitalfor the children of
Wisconsin. In 1962 an addition and major remodelling took place. In the 1970s the
hospital was converted for use by the department of nutritional science.
art of the agreement reached with the legislature in 1920-21, when Wisconsin General Hospital
was funded, was that the university medical school would provide care for crippled Wisconsin
children. The university began doing this (in small numbers in the Bradley memorial hospital)
even before the squabbles surrounding the main hospital were resolved. But these facilities were
never suitable, and advances in orthopedics were being made rapidly. A dedicated children's hospital
was needed. The drive for this facility was headed by Dean Charles Bardeen. The state legislature of
1929 approved an appropriation of $300,000 for such a hospital.
The regents' committee for the new hospital reported in November 1929, recommending that
an 'L' shaped building be located at the comer of Linden and Randall Streets, and that Randall should
be closed at the north end. Mr. Albert E. Gallistel, university supervisor of grounds and building,
drew plans from the sketches of Drs. Bardeen and Buerki. Members of the committee had visited
children's hospitals at Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit and Ann Arbor. The in-hospital living quarters
for staff, common at the other institutions were eliminated from Wisconsin's plan to reduce size and
cost. On April 23, 1930 the regents approved the plans presented by the office of state architect
ORTHOPEDIC HOSPITAL


Go up to Top of Page