University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Meikeljohn house,   pp. 162-163


Page 162

228 North Charter Street c. 1965. [series 9/1, Meiklejohn House, x25-2118]
Originally a private duplex, the Meiklejohn house became university property in
1928. It was the home of the Anderson house women's cooperative until 1968 when it
was converted to academic use. It is now the home of the ILS program (Integrated
Liberal Studies), a descendant ofAlexander Meilkejohn's experimental college.
n 1914, after years of living in rental housing on West Johnson Street, mason contractor Samuel
Oakey and his wife Ida built a three story craftsman style duplex on four lots of land on north
Charter Street a few blocks from the university campus. The Oakeys and their children lived in the
south half of the duplex at 228. The 230 side was occupied by a series of short term tenants. Samuel
died about 1920.'
In the spring of 1928 after years of living in the house with her children as they attended the
university and taking in boarders, Ida May Oakey was approached by Miss Mary D. Andersen and
Miss Nardin of the YWCA advisory board, and asked if she was interested in selling the house. She
said that she was, and the women from the YWCA had university officers Gallistel and McCaffrey
look over the property as a location for a women's cooperative house. They gave their approval and
the women put down $500, and took on a $220/month mortgage for the $19,000 purchase price and
the Anderson cooperative house was started. The owner of the property was the University Women's
Building Corp, under the supervision of the dean of women. The direct antecedents of this co-op
were the Tabard Inn, the Mortar Board, and the Blue Dragon. In the same year, 1928, superintendent
MEIKLEJOHN HOUSE


Go up to Top of Page