University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Biochemistry,   pp. 151-153


Page 153

HENRY MALL
Fig. 3. Outline of Bio-
1chemistry and its additions,
through 1996.
1954        1939
1984      ]
exception of Agriculture Hall, which was the birthplace of so many departments. From the earliest
days scientific giants had facilities here: Stephen Babcock, Harry Steenbock, E. B. Hart, Conrad
Elvehjem, Karl Paul Link, E. V. McCallum and Hector DeLuca. The work of Babcock, McCallum
and Steenbock discovered vitamins A and B and their purification and importance in nutrition (1913-
1920). E. B. Hart invented iodized salt as a goiter preventative. Steenbock discovered (1923) irradia-
tion of food to increase vitamin D levels, leading to the world famous Steenbock process for eliminat-
ing rickets (an early source of income for the WARF organization). Elvehjem in 1937 discovered a
cure for pellagra by isolating nictonic acid (vitamin B2). Karl Paul Link discovered the anticoagulant
blood factor Dicumeral (1948) and developed the pesticide Warfarin (another major source of funds
for WARF). Hector DeLuca isolated and synthesized the hormones derived from vitamin D.8
As the reputation of the department grew it attracted more and more students and researchers
and the building became insufficient for the department's needs. The first addition was made in 1939-
1941, when local architects Law, Law and Potter designed the matching wing on the west end [see
Fig. 3] of the original block. This $285,000 wing was funded by Public Works Administration and the
Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF). This building project represented the first time that
WARF ever used their resources to fund University construction.9 The general contractor was
George Nelson and Son. This first addition is decorated with murals in stairwells and laboratories by
the great John Steuart Curry.
In 1953-1957 a modem section to the north was designed by Foeller, Schober, Bernard,
Safford and Jahn of Green Bay, and built by Findorff, for $1.3 million, also with WARF funding.
The six-story section to the north (by Bowen, Williamson and Zimmermann of Madison) was
completed in 1984.The 1996 NMR facility designed and built by Flad and Associates will be built to
the west and take over the grounds now occupied by the horticulture greenhouses. [see Fig. 3.]
1) Regent's Report, 1909-1910, p. 40.
2) Regent's Report, 1909-1910, pp. 172-173.
3) Regent's Minutes, August 30, 1911.
4) Regent's Minutes, October 11, 1911.
5) Regent's Minutes, December 13, 1911.
6) Regent's Minutes, May 21, 1913.
7) Regent's Report, 1913-1914 p. 341.
8) Wisconsin Alumni Magazine, July/August, 1982 p. 7. Nomination Papers for the National Register of Historic
Places, State Historical Society Library, Historic Preservation Office.
9) Wisconsin Country Magazine, November 1938 p. 6; February, 1940 p. 10.
153


Go up to Top of Page