University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Hog serum plant,   p. 148


Page 148

HOG SERUM PLANT
Fig 1.1915. The hog cholera serum
plant on the left, a swine barn (since
demolished) on the right. Herrick
Drive now passes between the serum
plant and the site of the barn, about
-      where the fence line runs.. Just visible
beyond the serum plant is the lab now
used as the carrot and beet lab.
[series 9/3 Serum Plant, jf-39]
This building was originally a laboratory for the production of hog cholera serum. It
has since become storage for the forestry department.
n his 1911 report to the regents, dean of agriculture H. L. Russell states that hog cholera is
prevalent throughout the state, and that the manufacture of cholera anti-serum was begun 'last
spring'. The report of the following year shows that the problem has gotten worse. "The continued
spread of hog cholera in the state and the inability of the college to meet the extraordinary demands
made upon it for hog cholera serum led the last legislature to make special provision for this work."
The university was authorized to sell the serum at one cent per cubic centimeter, which was its cost
of production. The appropriation was for $2,500. Since the first facilities for serum production were
inadequate (the building that is now the Carrot and Beet lab), it was decided to erect a new building
for production of serum.1
The plans for this building are dated October eighth, 1915, drawn by Arthur Peabody or his
staff. The building is one story with no basement or attic, made of brick, 32 ft. X 64 ft. The regents
awarded the construction contract for the serum plant to the lowest bidder T. C. McCarthy for
$3273.2 Little is known of how long the serum production in the building lasted. By 1940, a Univer-
sity building inventory refers to it as the "old serum plant". Since that time it has been assigned as part
of the forestry department and is used as laboratories and storage.2
1) Regent's Report, 1913-1914, p. 104; Regent's Report, 1911-1912, p. 117.
2) Regent's Minutes, February 29, 1915.


Go up to Top of Page