University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Richard, George (ed.) / Wisconsin alumnus
Volume 59, Number 2 (Oct. 1957)

The Cardinal's new shop,   p. 17


Page 17


      Spacious and uncluttered is the Daily Cardinal newsroom, now located
      in Journalism Hall. This working-day scene includes Edlitor John, Gruber,
      right rear, conferring with Managing Editor Alan McCone. That's
      University Editor, Rita Middleton, on the telephone.
The Cardinal's New Shop
      W     HEN WILLIAM W. YOUNG, founder and first edi-
            tor of the Daily Cardinal, put the first issue to press
      in April, 1892, he didn't.dream his modest $300 investment
      would one day become a physical plant worth roughly
k     $100,000.
        But proof positive lies in the typography laboratory of
      Journalism Hall where the Cardinal is just beginning its
      second year of publication in new, University-owned quarters.
        Sixty-five years ago, editor Young rushed late-breaking
      news downtown on horseback to a spare room of the old
      Madison Democrat where the campus daily was printed
      every afternoon. Staff equipment consisted of pencils, paper,
      two tables, and a few chairs.
        Today, the Daily Cardinal boasts editorial offices that are
      almost extravagant in comparison-convenient campus loca-
      tion, separate desks for editors, a row of typewriters for
reporters, telephones, and loads of floor space.
  Inches away are the linotypes and a new press that makes
the Cardinal the first college daily to be able to run color
regularly. Facilities also include use of the J-school photo
lab and a Fairchild engraver that makes plastic engravings
electronically from black and white photographs.
  The passage of two such important milestones-65 years
of publication and the first year as a new corporation-hasn't
made the Cardinal contingent rest complacently on its
laurels. New look for fall '57: a new five-day a week publi-
cation schedule, the added edition appearing Saturday
mornings.
  Because of this the New Idea, campus literary magazine
which made its debut last year as a Cardinal supplement,
is publishing independently with offices at Campus Printing
Co. where the printing is also being done.
                                                        17


Go up to Top of Page