University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Richard, George (ed.) / Wisconsin alumnus
Volume 59, Number 15 (July 1958)

Compendium,   p. 19


Page 19


  Regents looked at preliminary plans for a new two million
dollar science building at the UW-M campus and gave the
go ahead on the four story building, which will be financed
   A Board of Visitors report has called for establishment of
"adequate budget and space for a counseling service com-
mensurate with the stature. of the University of Wisconsin."
However, the present fiscal year's budget contain's provision
for only a small increase in this service's activities.
                             ,
   A new school of education plan may revolutionize require-
ments for teacher certification; under it, students or teachers
could prove by examination their general knowledge and
scholarship and their teaching ability. Administrators will
seek state approval and the cooperation of .other teaching
institutions.
                             ,
  Biochemistry Prof. Emeritus W. H. Peterson has donated
$1,500 to enable students to attend scientific meetings.
                             ,
  A Ford Foundation grant of up to $175,000 to finance
legal research in the public policy area is viewed as recogni-
tion of UW leadership in the field.
  A   replica of the famous Bascom      Hall "sifting  and
winnowing" plaque is a new addition to the University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Kenwood campus.
  An education research committee at the University found
after intensive study that high quality physics instruction can
be accomplished through the use of films. One of the chief
drawbacks: some teacher-projectionists became bored after
repeated showings to four or five classes.
                             ,
  Deadline for application forms for international study
scholarships during the 1959-60 academic year-available
from the Institute of International Education, One East
Sixty-Seventh Street, New York City 21-is October 15 of
this year. Preference in the selection of more than 1,000
students goes to persons under 35.
  Named dean of the Graduate School,
succeeding President Conrad Elvehjem
-who quietly took office on July 1 as
successor to E. B. Fred-is an inter-
nationally-famed chemist who played a
key role in the chemical phase of atomic
pioneering. He is Dr. John E. Willard,
a member of the UW chemistry depart-
ment since 1937 when he came as an
instructor from Haverford college. He
received his bachelor's degree from Har-
vard in 1930, his Ph. D. from Wis-
consin in 1935. He is well known for
his research in radiochemistry and war-
time work at atomic laboratories.
under the state's new procedure of private loans to be repaid
over a 30 year period by biennial state appropriations based
on a percentage of student fee receipts.
   New
Humanities
Research
  Center
  Okayed
   The Regents have voted to establish
an institute for research in the humani-
ties, particularly, in history, philosophy,
language and literature, beginning in
September, 1959. It was a move inter-
preted by many as meeting criticism that
the UW has neglected the study of hu-
manities and social sciences in favor of
natural and physical sciences. A faculty
committee recommending the center said
as much. The committee was probably
thinking specifically of a speech by the
widely-known    UW    historian,  Prof.
Merle Curti, in which he called for
improvement in the status of social sci-
entists. The Regents voted to earmark,
insofar as possible, revenues from the
proposed UW-owned shopping center
for use in the field of* humanities and
social sciences. An estimated $400,000
a year may be realized when the project
receives final state approval and is built.
  The Wisconsin Memorial Union is probably the most
used student center in the nation, it was decided, after traffic
counts indicated three million visits during the year.
                             ,
  The faculty has okayed use of parking fees to amortize
construction of on-campus and near-campus multideck struc-
tures. A $40,000 surplus is expected in the parking fund
for next year.
                             *
  The UW has chalked up another first for non-sectarian
institutions: the preparation of teachers for instruction in the
Hebrew language. Other languages available include French,
Italian, German, Latin, Polish, Russian, Spanish       and
Portuguese.
                             *
  University officials have looked askance at a Madison plan
to carry traffic westward from the campus by means of an
overhead with a ramp at the biochemistry building taking
the University avenue traffic 24 feet up for a distance of
two miles.
Wisconsin Alumnus, July, 1958
New Graduate
School Dean
19


Go up to Top of Page