University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Small animal house,   pp. 246-247


Page 246

SMALL ANIMAL HOUSE
J       Fig. 1. The small animal
building in 1994. Thetiny
doors on the side of the
buildingwereformonkey
egress in Dr. Clark's day,
Sand boarded up in Dr.
3  --                          Shackelfords. [Author
Photo, AP-23]
Built as a virus research laboratory in 1941 for Drs. Paul Clark and Conrad
Elvehjem, this building housed Dr. Shackleford's fur research program from 1951
until 1974. It is now storage space.
r. Paul F. Clark came to the University in 1914 from The Rockefeller Institute, where he had
studied the polio virus under the renowned Simon Flexner. Dr. Clark took charge of medical
bacteriology, in the fledgling medical school. Facilities for Clark's study of viruses were
severely limited, and his work was undertaken in the "animal research laboratory", later the meats lab.
This location was the best that could be found for the work covered by a $62,000 grant from the
National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, to be under the control of Drs. Paul Clark and Conrad
Elvehj em, received in March 1941. These were highly unsuitable quarters. Dr. Clark later (1969) said
that "our cramped animal quarters made it impossible to quarantine our animals adequately before
using them in experiments". The regents voted to add $3500 in unassigned funds to a $12,000 WARF
grant for the construction of a small animal house for the research studies in infantile paralysis. This
building was first going to be located between the highway lab and the mining and metallurgy build-
ings, on the engineering campus. Without explanation, the location was changed to the far west campus
246


Go up to Top of Page