University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

University Press,   pp. 241-242


Page 241

Fig. 1. The Univer-
sity Press Houses:
left to right: 807,
811, and 817 W.
Dayton Street, 1995.
[AuthorPhoto, AP-
20]
The University Press is housed in three old houses and a beer distributor's warehouse.
These quarters reflect the difficulty in funding an operation that is supposed to be self
supporting. The buildings may be demolished as part of the Kohl Center construction.
T   he University Press was founded in 1937 underthe direction ofMiss LiviaAppel. Itwas
housed that year in Bascom Hall. It moved in 1939 to quarters in the old library school at 811
State Street. In 1955 The University Press moved across to 430 Sterling Court (a north-south
street between State and University vacated for the construction of Humanities). This was the Press's
home until forced in 1965 to leave by the demolition of Sterling Court which made way for the Hu-
manities Building. They moved into the old houses at 807 and 811 W. Dayton Street. These houses had
been purchased by the Wisconsin University Building Corporation in August 1964 (807 W. Dayton)
and February 1962 (811 W. Dayton). The WUBC leased the properties to the University for amounts
required to amortize the purchases. 817 Dayton was used in 1965 by the school of music. After the
opening of the Humanities Building in 1969, it was occupied by the UW Press. 1
There were several reasons for selecting this location for the University Press. Although a
department of the graduate school the Press tries to support itself financially. Sadly it has never
managed to do so, running a substantial deficit from the beginning. Therefore it was undesirable to
place the Press in expensive quarters. In addition the nature of the Press's business requires a ware-
house, and it happened that the WUBC had purchased the General Beer Distributor's warehouse at
415-417 North Murray Street in January 1962. This proximity of a warehouse and office space was a
natural choice for the new home of the UW Press.
UNIVERSITY PRESS


Go up to Top of Page