University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Animal disease lab,   pp. 234-235


Page 234

ANIMAL DISEASE LAB
Fig. 1. Animal Dis-
ease Control Building
1994. [Author Photo,
AP- 18]
Built in 1938 with WPA funds and labor, this building's original use was to house
the state animal disease control laboratory. After the 1965 removal of that function
from campus, the building was reassigned to the food research institute, and later
the department of horticulture.
n 1930 the University became host to the state Department of Agriculture and Markets. This was
the combination of the state departments of Dairy and Foods, Markets, and Agriculture. It oversaw
l!nspection and licensing of dairy products, crop protection efforts, and animal disease control. In
keeping with the University's commitment to the residents of the state, the Veterinarian control, and
Pure Foods state labs were moved into room B7 in the basement of Agriculture Hall. At the beginning
of this period, the duties of the state veterinary control officer took up the half time services of one
man. As the farmers of the state became increasingly aware of the service available in the diagnoses of
diseases among livestock, the work by 1938 required the full time work of five pathologists. The
housing in the small basement quarters, and the constant stream of dead and diseased animals coming
into a busy and crowded University building, the lab created an "intolerable situation". 1
In the fall of 1938, Agricultural dean Christensen, state director Ralph Ammon, and president
Dykestra discussed the construction of a new building for the animal disease control lab. In December
1938, the state emergency board appropriated $14,000 for the laboratory as a Works Project Admin-
A. Y
K.. Jf
"A


Go up to Top of Page