University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Old sheep barn,   pp. 149-150


Page 149

OLD SHEEP BARN
Fig. 1. The sheep barn
c. 1920. [series 9/3,
Sheep Stalls, jf-40]
The date and circumstance of the construction of the sheep barn has not been deter-
mined. Its later years were spent as a makeshift dormitory for short course students.
It was demolished in 1952.
Almost nothing is known of the early history of this building. No mention of it before 1911 has
L    been found. In his 1911 report to the regents Agriculture Dean Russell says: "Last year the
L      front section of the sheep barn, which was one of the oldest structures on the farm, was
rebuilt."1 This rebuilding was designed by the office of supervising architect Arthur Peabody, who in
the fall of 1911 had contractor C. B. Fritz jack up the roof and insert additional framing to add space
for storage of fodder, and for the animals. No more is found regarding the sheep barn until the 1930s.
In 1930 due to the constant and rapid rise in enrollment in the agricultural short courses,
which were attended by state farm boys during the winter months, agriculture dean Christenson began
to agitate for dormitories for the short course students, which would make attendance at the short
courses easier and a more integrated part of the university. First in 1932, a WWI Student Army
Training Corps (SATC) wooden dormitory that had been moved from Camp Randall for use by the
Forest Products Lab was moved again and remodelled for use as a short course dorm. Two years
later in 1934, the university remodelled the sheep barn as another dormitory and named it Kleinheinz
Hall in honor of Frank Kleinheinz, a recently deceased member of the agriculture staff who had begun
as a shepherd and became known as a world authority on sheep breeding.2 The sheep barn lived the
rest of its life as a short course dormitory. It was not a dignified one. Historian Glover reports that
"Wartime found the faculty embarrassed by the problem of persuading students that such quarters


Go up to Top of Page