University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim (Writer) / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Johnson Street House,   p. 139


Page 139

JOHNSON STREET HOUSE
Fig. 1.1120 W. Johnson
Street, 1994. [AuthorPhoto,
AP-6]
his old house first appears in the city directories in 1916, as the home of two families. It
remained a boarding house until 1960 when it was purchased by the Wisconsin University
Building Corporation (WUBC). From 1960 to 1964 the University leased it from the WUBC
for use as the home of the University of Wisconsin Education Research Service. In June 1962 the
WUBC conveyed the title to the property to the University. Since that time the house has hosted the
physical education department, statistics, computer science, the Afro-American and Race Relations
Center, several medical programs, and its final occupant International Studies and Programs, which
moved out in 1994 in preparation for the demolition of the house to make way for Chemistry Unit
Five.1
1) City directories in the state historical; society's collection; Regent's business records in regent's vault; University
directories in the University Archives.


Go up to Top of Page