University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim (Writer) / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Horticulture greenhouses,   pp. 131-132


Page 131

Fig. 1. C. 1911: Horticulture greenhouses from the northeast, farm buildings and the University
Heights neighborhood in background. The red-roofed building at the right of the picture is the head
house. The little building to the left of the head house is the lab for plant pathology. [Series 9/3,
Greenhouses, jf-14]
The Horticulture greenhouses and head house were built in 1909 to provide addi-
tional space for the expanding horticulture department being crowded out of King
Hall by the soils department. The head house and first green houses were built just
prior to the horticulture building itself More green houses were added to the site
over the following 60 years. All were removed in 1996 to make way for an addition to
the biochemistry building.
he soils department, originally housed in the second (west) half of King Hall, grew at
a very fast pace during the first decade of the 20th century under Franklin King. Eventually
soils became so large that horticulture, the other occupant of King Hall was being severely
squeezed. The two departments shared the University's only greenhouses, located behind King Hall.
President Van Hise in his 1908 report to the regents says: "The greenhouses for the horticultural
department are entirely inadequate, and it will be necessary to construct additional greenhouses so
placed that they will join on the new horticulture building which will be required in the near future."1
As a first step the regents selected a site for the horticulture building, and approved the construction
of new greenhouses "on the new site for horticulture grounds in the rear of the agricultural engineer-
ing building. Estimated cost about $6000-$8000.'2 The plans were drawn by university supervising
architect Arthur Peabody's office and shown to the regents in January 1909, but Peabody was asked
to revise the plans to include laboratory space for plant pathology, without adding more than $2000
to the cost, the new plans were drawn and were approved by the regents in February 1909.3
HORTICULTURE GREEN-
HOUSES


Go up to Top of Page