University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Meat and muscle lab,   pp. 223-224


Page 223

MEAT AND MUSCLE LAB
Fig. 1. The
Meat Lab
February 1997.
T'he original
section is at the
far left. The
1959 addition is
the 'L' shaped
..section around
.the original
rectangle. The
1969 addition is
to .: :-      at the right.
The diary
:       center is in the
left back-
.     ground. [Del
Brown Photo,
AP-67]
The muscle and meat lab was built in three major sections, in 1930, 1959 and 1969.
It became the home of one of the best animal research departments in the country. It
saw the discovery of niacin by Conrad Elvehjem, and the seminal studies of animal
nutrition by Gustav Bohstedt and E. B. Hart.
he first section of this three part building was the section to the west, built in 1931 as the
animal science lab. It was erected at the request of dean of agriculture H. L. Russell, to ac-
commodate the highly acclaimed work of E. B. Hart, Gustav Bohstedt and Harry Steenbock.
Bohstedt received a job offer from the University of Iowa in 1930, and told President Frank that
Iowa's modem facilities for animal research were a strong attraction, since the work at Wisconsin was
carried out in very inadequate facilities in the old wooden farm buildings on campus. Frank promised
to help rectify this situation, and the first section of the animal science complex was built. The regents
approved the preliminary plans on August 6, 1930. Bids were opened on March 20, 1931 and the
general contract let to George Nelson and Son for $22,580. The state appropriation for the building
was from the emergency fund, and was for only $35,000. Because the equipment was projected to be
fairly expensive it was necessary in architect Arthur Peabody's words: "that the building be made very
plain and of inexpensive materials." It was intended at the time that this structure be a part of a
quadrangle for animal research. The depression prevented these plans from being carried out. 1
The animal science building, designed by state architect Arthur Peabody, was a basement and
223


Go up to Top of Page