University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bohi, M. Janette / A history of Wisconsin State University Whitewater, 1868-1968
(1967)

Appendix 4,   p. 264


Page 264

Appendix 4 
WISCONSIN STATE UNIVERSITY-WHITEWATER 
ARCHIVES: A BIBLIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY 
BY JOHN E. RIGGERT 
The University Archives is the depository for all the noncurrent records
and papers 
of the School as well as other miscellaneous historical material. It includes
not only 
administrative files but also various records relevant to the faculty, college
publications, 
and student organizations. The Archives was organized in 1963 in conjunction
with the 
State Historical Society's Area Research Center to make available the historical
records 
of the school to the University faculty, administration, students, and interested
scholars. 
A check list of the present holdings follows. 
Related to the president's office are Albert Salisbury's letters for the
years 1894 to 
1898 which include correspondence with students, teachers, business and industrial
leaders, and the general public. His letters received include communications
from 
lyceum groups, professional groups, and other schools for the period 1899
to 1912. The 
general correspondence of Presidents A. H. Yoder, F. S. Hyer, and C. M. Yoder
includes 
letters relating to the Normal School students and teachers from 1912 to
1962. The 
Board of Regents (1902-1949) and individual regents (1919-1940) are represented
by 
correspondence files. Athletics correspondence from the period 1902 to 1940
and letters 
from other colleges and universities covering the years 1919 to 1942 are
also included 
in this file. Other miscellaneous files originating from the president's
office are personnel 
records from the period 1912-1950, commencement papers, notes for faculty
meetings, 
budget records 1913-1963, the Cotton vs. Hyer files, and twenty-five volumes
of Normal 
School class work which was exhibited at the Columbian Exposition. 
The material from the registrar's office is both informative and numerous.
Included 
here are the main Student Register from 1868 to 1878, general admission records
1912-1932, records of the entrance exams 1894-1932, which the students were
required 
to take, class records from 1876 to 1914, and enrollment statistics covering
the period 
from 1911 to 1952. Summer school statistics 1917-1961, and a volume covering
the 
years 1868 to 1894, in which prospective students at the Normal School declared
the 
fact that they were planning to teach, are also among the material from this
office. 
The publications of the School are represented by a file of all bulletins
and catalogues 
from 1868 to the present, including copies of the Commercial Education journal
which 
was published from 1921 to 1944. Files of the school newspaper, the Royal
Purple, 
from 1901 to the current year and a complete set of Minneiskas are included
in the 
collection. College directories from 1923 to the present and student handbooks
from 
1915 until they were incorporated into the general catalogue in 1951 complete
the 
holdings in this area. 
Similar records from the business office, the library, the campus school,
the student 
body (including a very complete collection of student literary society records
dating from 
the earliest days of the institution), and the faculty give the researcher
a first-hand 
picture of the growth and development of the University. 
A264 
Appendix 4 


Go up to Top of Page