University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Feldman, Jim / The buildings of the University of Wisconsin
(1997)

Chamberlin Hall,   pp. 98-101


Page 98

Fig. 1. The chemistry building in 1908 taken from the chimney of the heating plant; visible in the
background are Bascom Hall, North Hall, the red gym, mining and metallurgy (with smokestacks),
taken before construction of Sterling, Lathrop, Bamard Halls, any of the later additions to chemistry,
or the construction of Charter Street. [series 9/1 Chamberlin Hall, x25-299]
Built in 1905 as a home for chemistry, this building was added to in 1912, 1939,
1956 and 1973. Chemistry was renamed Chamberlin Hall in 1975. It now houses
Pharmacy and some physics.
en the firstchemistry building was built in 1885, following the fire at the original science
all, there were complaints that the building would be so large (designed for about 150
Sstudents) it could not be filled in a hundred years. It was bulging within twenty.
As the plans for a new chemistry building began to take shape in 1902-03, the lessons learned
by the regents were applied. They knew that good facilities attracted more students, and that chemis-
try was increasing in importance as a general science requirement. The older parts of the campus
were crowded by the lake shore and city development. These considerations led the regents, after
CHAMBERLIN HALL


Go up to Top of Page