University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The Silver Buckle Press Collection

Page View

American Type Founders Company / Specimen book and catalogue, 1923 : dedicated to the typographic art
(1923)

Nelson, R.W.
Preface,   pp. 5-16


Page 16

1796               AMERICAN TYPE FOUNDERS COMPANY                  1923
VISITORS ARE WELCOME AT ALL TIMES
By those who have visited it, the Central Plant of the American Type Founders
Company in Jersey City is regarded more as an institution than a factory. It is an insti-
tution for the advancement of printing and printers. All who are interested in print-
ing are welcome to visit it, and will be shown, without reservation, all the art and
mechanical processes of type making: the development of a design from the original
drawing to the matrices, the engraving of punches and matrices, the fitting of the
types, the making of the molds, the tools of precision which establish that degree of
accuracy in the types which is not equaled by any other manufacture made in large
quantities, the casting machines, the manufacture of brass types and brass rules, and,
last but not least, the Typographic Library and Museum, unrivaled in completeness.
AN ORGANIZATION DISTINGUISHED BY ITS LOYALTY
This book is the creation of Wadsworth A. Parker, manager of the Specimen Print-
ing Department. Since 1906 Mr. Parker is to be credited with all the specimen printing.
The Type Designing Department, which has been the chief factor in maintaining
leadership in type design, is directed by Morris F. Benton. In 1892 Joseph W. Phinney,
now first vice-president, was the leading authority in America in type design, and be-
came the chief advisor in this important factor in the success of the Company. In 1895
Mr. Phinney effected a revolution in typographic taste in America by adapting to mod-
ern uses ancient and classic type designs, thus initiating the leadership in type faces.
In 1911 William M. Kelly, for several years an employee of the Company, submitted his
invention of an automatic job press, now world-famous as the Kelly Press, which was
put on the market in 1915. Mr. Kelly is the manager of the Kelly Press Division, next
in importance to the type department. In 1908 Henry L. Bullen undertook the work
of establishing the Typographic Library and Museum, a collection solely formed by
him, of which he continues as curator. In 1913 Mr. Bullen organized the Efficiency
Department and in 1914 designed the Cut-Cost System of Printing Plant Equipment.
In 1923 Charles W. Kellogg, who has grown up with the Efficiency Department, became
its manager, having amply earned his promotion. In 1915 the Education Department
was organized by Frank K. Phillips, manager, for introducing printing as part of
vocational training in schools. The general success finally depends upon the able and
loyal organization-the twenty-eight managers and the staffs of the Selling Houses, the
production engineers, and the superintendents and employees of the Manufacturing
Departments, too numerous to particularize, but none the less appreciated. Lastly, the
Executive Department affords a leadership to the whole organization. It is headed
by Frank B. Berry, second vice-president; Walter S. Marder, secretary; and J. Russell
Merrick, treasurer.
President and GeneralManager
16
lid


Go up to Top of Page