University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Zacour, N. P.; Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / The impact of the Crusades on Europe
(1989)

V: The Institutions of the Kingdom of Cyprus,   pp. 150-174 PDF (9.7 MB)


Page 169

Ch. V THE INSTITUTIONS OF THE KINGDOM OF CYPRUS 169 
sion of the cathedral churches of the four episcopal sees (Nicosia, Famagusta,
Limassol, and Paphos), but without the substantial endowment which these
churches had enjoyed under the Byzantine regime. Their endowment remained
relatively modest; it was increased by gifts from Frankish nobles, as the
cartulary of Santa Sophia of Nicosia shows. But the bulk of their revenue
came from tithes which, as in the kingdom of Jerusalem, were paid by the
king and by the nobles on the revenue of their domains, as well as by the
holders of certain "free" lands, in accordance with the concordat of 1222.
From these revenues the bishop had to ensure the maintenance of his church,
the payment of the prebends of the canons and of the "assises" of the rest
of the clergy, and the pay of "parochial priors" of the few parochial churches
of Latin rite. However, this allowed the maintenance of only very modest
cathedral chapteEs.58 
 As in the west, the bishops of Cyprus felt it necessary to be assisted in
the exercise of their episcopal duties by auxiliary bishops. Several bishops
from the Holy Land thus established themselves in Cyprus at the end of the
thirteenth century and on occasion obtained the administration of episcopal
sees (the see of Tortosa was even united to that of Famagusta). Later their
number decreased, and it seems that only one auxiliary served as vicar inpontificalibus
in the four dioceses: 
Dimanche de Deux-Lions, titular bishop of Mesembria, in 1367; Salomon Cardus
and Anthony Audeth, titular bishops of Tortosa, then Nicholas de Courio,
titular bishop of Hebron, who died in 1468. 
 The Constitutio Cypria of 1260 attributed to the Greek bishop the function
of "vicar of the Greeks" under the Latin bishop. The Greek bishop resided
in the same diocese, but in another city: Soli for the diocese of Nicosia,
Lefkara for that of Limassol, Arsinoë (Polis) for that of Paphos, and
Carpas for that of Famagusta. The bishop of Soli, however, enjoyed the possession
of a second episcopal see, the church of St. Barnabas at Nicosia. Each of
them was assisted by a chapter of Greek canons: in 1301 the deans of Soli
and of St. Barnabas intrigued for the succession to the bishopric. Their
endowment was likened to an episcopal mense. In 1321 pope John XXII increased
that of the bishop of Lefkara by placing under him the monastery of the Holy
Savior of Lefkara.59 The Greek bishop had complete authority over 
 58. This comes from the accounts of the diocese of Limassol in 1367: Richard,
Documents chypriotes, pp. 61 if. The tithe levy was introduced in Cyprus
by the Franks; Greek bishops were entitled, as before the conquest, to assess
a hearth-tax on the followers of the Greek rite, and a kanonikon on the clerics.
 59. Ferdinand M. Delorme and A. L. Tãutu, eds., Acta Romanorum pontificum
ab Innocentio V ad Benedictum XI (12 76-1304) (PC, Fontes, ser. 3, V-2; Vatican
City, 1954), pp. 195- 


Go up to Top of Page