University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

United States. Office of Indian Affairs / Annual report of the commissioner of Indian affairs, for the year 1905
Part I ([1905])

Reports concerning Indians in New Mexico,   pp. 260-277 PDF (8.8 MB)


Page 268

268     REPORTS OF THEt DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR. 
miles. A triangle of land in San Juan County, Utah, extending from the mouth
of Montezuma Creek east to the Colorado State line, thence south along the
State line to the San Juan River, and down the San Juan River to the place
of 
beginning, upon which are located some 250 Navaho Indians, was taken into
the 
reservation by Executive order dated March 10, 1905. 
Population.-No accurate census has been taken of the Indians living on the
northern half of the Navaho Reservation; but including those living off the
reservation, who are under the charge of this school, the population is estimated
at 8,000. It would be a difficult and expensive undertaking to secure an
accu- 
rate census of these Indians, on account of the extensive area of the reservation
and owing to the fact that the Indians are continually changing their location
to find desirable grazing for their herds of sheep and goats. 
The scholastic population is estimated at about 2,500 children between the
ages of 6 and 18 years. A total of about 234 Navaho children from this reserva-
tion attended school during the past year, divided as follows: Fort Lewis
school, 
Colorado, 175; Grand Junction school, Colorado, 23; Miss Tripp's mission
school 
near Farmington, N. Mex., 14;-Presbyterian Navaho mission school, Jewett,
N. 
Mex., 12" Navaho Faith mission school, Aneth, Utah, 10. 
The past year has been a very prosperous one for the Navaho. The late sum-
mer rains brought out a sufficient amount of grass in different parts of
the reser- 
vation to keep their stock in good condition during the winter months and
started 
the grass early in the spring. The grazing all over the reservation at the
present 
time is perhaps better than it has been before in the past twenty years.
The 
lamb crop has been extra good and the old sheep are in fine condition. The
Indians havo made good use of the bucks issued to them more than a year ago.
The sale of sheep and other stock to the traders and other dealers has been
discouraged in every way possible, and it is hoped that within a very few
years 
the Indians will have double the number of sheep they have at the present
time. 
Sheep raising and blanket weaving are the principal industries of these Indians,
and these industries are being encouraged. 
A representative of the Bureau of Animal Industry visited the reservation
this spring and inspected the sheep. The sheep are afflicted to some extent
with scabies, ticks, and lice, and I have recently submitted to your office
an 
estimate for the installation of dipping plants on the reservation for the
eradi- 
cation of this and other diseases. 
The Indians living along the San Juan River, where water can be secured 
for irrigation, have raised better crops than usual, and are taking more
interest 
in building better homes and making permanent improvements on their farms.
The crops of wheat and corn last year exceeded by far the crops raised in
any 
one year heretofore. The growing crops on the reservation at the present
time 
are better than usual, but in some localities they have been damaged to some
extent by the grasshopper pest this spring. 
The high waters this spring also did considerable damage to nearly all of
the 
irrigating ditches along the river. The head gates and headings of some of
the larger ditches were totally destroyed, and considerable work and expense
will be required to place them in proper condition for use next spring. The
crops under these ditches will not be as good this year on this account.
It 
has been impossible to secure water for the irrigation of the crops except
when 
the river was very high. A number of springs on different parts of the reserva-
tion have been opened up and developed and will furnish a limited supply
of 
water for irrigation purposes in districts that have not been farmed hereto-
fore and will also provide water for the stock grazing on the ranges adjacent
to these springs. 
A nursery of fruit, shade, and forest trees has been started at the school
to 
raise trees for issue to the Indians, that they may be encouraged to plant
orchards and forest and shade trees around their homes and along their irri-
gating ditches. 
Considerable work has been performed by the Indians during the past year
in building and repairing roads on different parts of the reservation, freighting
supplies to the school, etc. They have cut and hauled to the school a num-
ber of pine logs used in small buildings, and with the assistance of one
white 
foreman have erected these buildings. They have also furnished a large num-
ber of posts to be used in constructing fences around the .chool and agency.
Indians were also employed in opening a coal mine on the reservation and
in 
repairing and building irrigating ditches, as well as building a number of
small irrigating ditches themselves. 


Go up to Top of Page