University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

United States. Office of the US High Commissioner for Germany. Information Services Division / RIAS, Berlin
([195-])

Background on RIAS,   pp. 2-5 PDF (1.5 MB)


Page 3

- 2 -
for the US to install a still more powerful transmitter.
On June 1, 1947, the. US placed into operation.a captured 20,000
watt transmitter that had been used in World War II by the German army
as, mobile equipment- in Italy, and. which had been completely overhauled
before  installation in Berlin.
RIAS, by this time, had developed into a- stroxg station. The German
staff had more than doubled., and studio and administrative -facilities
were inadeciuate. Accordingly, a new broadcast house was sought to cqon-
solidate RIAS, which at this zstage of its development had spread to parts
of three buildings near the Allied Control Authority compound in the
center of Berlin. The present RIAS building on Kufsteinerstrasse, in-the
Schoeneberg district of Berlin, was the result of this action.
Ci'itical shortages in building material and engineering equipment
presented great difficulties in the reconstruction of the present studio
building but these were eventually overcome, so that by the time the
studio building was opened on July 6, 1948, RIAS was well on the way
toward becoming the most popular radio station in Berlin and the
surrounding Soviet Zone.
Between October, 1949, and March, 195o, numerous technical problems
were encountered and various engineering adjustments were undertaken to
reduce the interference of The RIAS signal with that of Radio Belgrade:
whose frequency RIAS shared.. This period of technical storm and stress,
while permitting full daytime use of a new 100,0o0 watt transmitter,
witnessed on the other hand a substantial loss of nighttime coverage,'
owing to the required reduction of power during the hours of darkness.
However, this awkward situation was partially offset by the fact that
RIAS operates a second medium-wave transmitter from Hof in Northern
Bavaria, from which vantage point the RIAS program is simultaneously
beamed into the industrial and. uranium mine areas of Thuringia and
Saxony .
In March 1950, RIAS was allocated relatively clear frequencies
for both its Berlin and Hof transmitters (Berlin on 989 kc. and Hof on
719 kc.), which permitted full time operation at maximum power. Tech-
nical facilities at both transmitters were also measurably improved.,
so that RIAS was able to cover not only the Soviiet Zone but other parts
-3-


Go up to Top of Page