University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Wolff, R. L.; Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / The later Crusades, 1189-1311
(1969)

III: The Crusades of Frederick Barbarossa and Henry VI,   pp. 86-122 PDF (14.1 MB)


Page 105

Ch. III THE CRUSADES OF FREDERICK I AND HENRY VI 105  
army left for Adrianople on November 5, and occupied the abandoned city on
November 22. Meanwhile bishop Conrad of Regensburg took Probaton and 'was
quick to gather there for himself and for his companions an abundance of
all necessities.' On November 24 duke Frederick of Swabia took Demotica,
'a very well fortified city. . . . All those, however, [except small children
and women] who were found in the town were butchered by the sword to a number
reckoned at more than one thousand five hundred. . . . Certain of our knights
recognized in the loot from the city the three horses which robbers had forcefully
taken from them in Bulgaria.'7 Indeed, on his roundabout way from Philippopolis
to Adrianople, the duke had 'made a steady progress through Macedonia and
took the city of Culos [Chelebikoy] with two others whose names are not remembered.'
Boldly going on from there, he reached the sea 'and attacked the rich city
called Menas [Enos]. When the citizens escaped from it in boats, he took
. . . fabulous booty.' Subsequently the duke attacked from Adrianople Arcadiopolis,
and 'found it as empty of warriors as of the necessities of life. Some of
our men nevertheless found wine and grain there, which they carried back
to their fellows.' More or less constant fighting with Byzantine forces took
place until the territory to the very walls of Constantinople was occupied.
Dense forest areas had to be cleared. Regular engagements with Isaac's Viach
and Kuman mercenaries were carried out. 'Bohemians [better trained for war
and pillage than the others] came together with some others from the army
who were seeking necessary provisions for themselves, to a certain seacoast
city. There they seized more than enough horses and mules, wine, and grain,
and all sorts of desirable things.' From an 'almost inaccessible swamp, to
which a not inconsiderable crowd of the enemy had fled with all their possessions,'
they carried a notable booty. A column of the bishop of Wurzburg and of the
counts of Salm, Wied, and Sponheim 'captured two cities in the direction
of Vlach territory. . A third was taken by assault - more than five thousand
were killed in a great massacre. One of these cities was given to the flames.
. 
The second column, of the count of Abenberg and the advocate Frederick of
Berg, always a very dangerous one, . . . turned southwards, inflicted a pitiable
slaughter upon the enemy, and brought back abundant booty.' 
 The troops of the bishops at Philippopolis were also active in the neighborhood,
and they were joined by the twelve hundred men 
 17 Ibid., pp. 53-54. 


Go up to Top of Page