University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

United States. Office of Indian Affairs / Annual report of the commissioner of Indian affairs, for the year 1906
([1906])

Indian school sites,   pp. 445-447 PDF (1.3 MB)


Page 445

INDIAN SCHOOL SITES. 
SAN XAVIER, ARIZONA. 
Under a provision of the Indian appropriation act of March 5, 1905 (33 
Stat. L., 1073), the Department authorized this office, on June 17, 1905,
to 
negotiate for the purchase of 2 acres of land in the "Native American
addi- 
tion" to the city of Tucson, for a day school site, payment to be made
from the 
general appropriation for the "purchase of school sites," etc.
Accordingly J. M. Berger, in charge of the San Xavier Reservation, for- 
warded a deed dated June 28, from George Pusch and Mathilde Pusch, his wife,
conveying to the United States for $125 a portion of the "Native American
addition" to the city of Tucson, described as follows: 
Beginning at a point 190 feet west of the southeast corner of said addition,
according 
to the map and survey of said addition now on file in the office of the recorder
of 
Pima County, and thence running north 290.4 feet, thence west 300 feet, thence
south 
290.4 feet, thence east 300 feet to the place of beginning, containing 87,120
square feet, 
and being a part of the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section
24, in 
township 14 south, range 13 east, Gila and Salt River meridian, in the county
of Pima, 
in the Territory of Arizona. 
The written opinion of the Acting Attorney-General, dated October 18, 1905,
as to the validity of the title, was forwarded by the Department on October
21, 
together with the deed, and the office was authorized to make the payment
for 
the land, which was done. The deed was returned by Mr. Berger on Novem- 
ber 6, duly recorded on November 1, in the county recorder's office, Pima
County, 
Ariz., in book 39, page 43, and in this office in "Miscellaneous Records,"
volume 5, page 415. 
GRAND JUNCTION, COLO. 
In the annual report of this office for 1904, on pages 567-570, appears the
official action taken as to the water and sewerage system in connection with
the 
Indian school at Grand Junction, Colo., under the Indian appropriation act
of 
May 27, 1902 (32 Stat. L., 271). 
Under office instructions of March 15, 1905, John Charles, superintendent
of 
construction, made a thoro investigation of drainage conditions, ascertained
that a filter was needed, and reported that he had secured a location for
such 
filter from Hans H. Jenson, a public-spirited man, who executed a deed on
June 
22, for the nominal sum of $1, for 720 square feet of land, described as
follows: 
Beginning at a point 127 feet west and 1,258 feet south of the north center
corner of 
the SW. I of sec. 19, T. 1 S., R. 1 E., of the Ute principal meridian; thence
east 36 feet, 
north 20 feet, west 36 feet, and south 20 feet to the place of beginning.
This deed was submitted to the Department on July 22, 1905, and on October
7 the Department returned it with the written opinion of the Acting Attorney-
General as to validity of title, dated October 4; also with the consent of
the 
State under the act of February 1, 1881. This deed was recorded in the regis-
ter of deeds office for Mesa County, Colo., the day of its execution, in
book 105, 
page 53, and in this office in " Miscellaneous Records," volume
5, page 395. 
MORRIS, MINN. 
In the Indian appropriation act of April 21, 1904 (33 Stat. L., 213), the
Con- 
gress appropriated $3,200 for the purchase of additional lands for the Indian
school at Morris, Minn. Under Department authority of March 22, 1905, to
negotiate for the purchase of the land, Supt. John B. Brown submitted four
deeds, viz: 
The H. Thorson tract, 15 acres___-$1,-----------         ----     $1, 125
The Stevens County Agricultural Society tract, 21 acres-.....       1, 050
The M. B. Lord tract, 8.75 acres---------------------------------     875
The Summit Cemetery tract, 2.50 acres----------------------------150 
Total     ------------------------------------------------3,200 
445 


Go up to Top of Page