University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Ecology and Natural Resources Collection

Page View

Pehrson, E. W. / Minerals yearbook 1943
Year 1943 (1945)

Davis, H. W.
Fluorspar and cryolite,   pp. 1441-1462 PDF (3.8 MB)


Page 1459

 FLUORSPAR AND CRYOLITE 1459
 In June 1043 J. K. Stanland acquired the Bonita, mine, where he did considerable
development, in the course of which, some ore was taken out and milled at
the plant of Both Mining & Milling Co. This mine was acquired on December
9 by the Bonita Trust, which continued development and produced a small quantity
of metallurgicalgrade fluorspar.
 During the first half of 1943 Both Mining & Milling Co. produced a small
tonnage of fluxing-gravel fluorspar at the Bonita mine in Valencia County.
The company- did custom milling for others at its concentratingplant at Grants.
 Development was in progress during 1943 at the Blackbird prospect near Albuquerque
in Bernalillo County by the American Fluorspar Co. A jig mill was constructed
but proved unsatisfactory. Subsequently, a flotation mill was purchased and
was being installed at Albuquerque. It was expected to be completed in March
1944.
 Tennessee.—A small quantity of ore mined at a property presumably
in Smith County near Rome was trucked to Marion, Ky., where, it was finished
iii the mill of Delhi Fluorspar Corporation.
 Texas.—Previous commercial production of fluorspar in Texas has consisted
of small amounts of milling ore, which were shipped to a flotation plant
at Deming, N. Mex. In 1943, however, production amounted to 1,253 tons, of
which 960 tons were shipped to steel plants. Production came from the Glass
& O'Brien mine in Burnet County and the Eagle Springs, Fenley, and Eagle
Mountains mines in Hudspeth County. Operations at the Glass & O'Brien
and Eagle Springs mines were discontinued during 1943. At the Eagle Mountains
mine, operated by the Texas Fluorite Co., a concentrating mill was under
construction. The fluorspar deposits of Hudspeth County have been described
by Evan~6 and those of Burnet County by
 Barnes.7 -
 Utah.—Only 1 car (51 tons) of fluorspar was shipped from Utah in 1943
compared with 1,018 tons (an all-time high) in 1942. It was
shipped by the Western Fluorite Co.1,which also did development at its properties
in Beaver County. Fred Staats, operating The Staats mine, also in Beaver
County, produced a small quantity of fluorspar in 1943 but made no shipments.
The Tintic Standard Mining Co.. continued development work at the Cougar
mine near Milford in Beaver County, where a concentrating mill was nearing
completion at the end of 1943.
 - FOREIGN TRADE
 Imports.—Imports of fluorspar for consumption in the United States
in 1943 were the largest since 1930 and reached 43,570 short tons (1,854
tons containing more than 97 percent calcium fluoride and 41,716 tons containing
not more than 97 percent calcium fluoride), valued 8 at $643,409, compared
with 2,151 tons (1~882 tons containing more than and 269 tons containing
less than 97 percent calcium fluoride), valued8 at $35,529 in 1942. The value
assigned to the higher6Evans, G. L., Fluorspar Deposits in the Eagle Mountains
of Hudspeth County, Tex.: Bureau of Econ
Geol., Univ. of Texas, Mi Resource Circ. 26, ~1une 21, 1943, 13 PP.
' Barnes V. E., Preliminary Reconnaissance Report on Fluorite in the Spring
Creek Area of Burnet County, ~ex.: Bureau of Econ. Geol., Univ. of Texas,
Mi. Resource Circ. 27, May 31, 1943, 6 pp.
 8 ~eflned in sec. 402of the tariff act of 1930, "The value of imported merchandise
* * * is the foreign value or the export value, whichever is higher—that
Is, the market value or the price at which the merchandise, at the time of
exportation to the United States, Is offered for sale in the principal markets
of the country
from which exported, including the cost of containers or coverings and all
expenses (including any export
tax) incident to placing the merchandise in condition ready for shipment
to the United States."


Go up to Top of Page