University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great hat manufactories of the United States,   pp. 496-510 ff.


Page 502

GREAT HAT MANUFACTORIES.
been used and Mr. John T. Waring has the credit of having been the
first to introduce the process. Coming from the lathe, a touch of the
smoothing iron is given to the bat and then it passes into the binders'
and trimmers' hands, by whom it is finished and made ready for pack-
ing.
The machinery in this vast establishment is driven by an engine of
two hundred and fifty horse-power.  There are six boilers of fifty
horse-power each, which not only supply the steam for the engine, but
the hot air for the drying rooms and all other purposes for which hot
air or steam is required in the factory. About five tons of coal are
consumed daily.
The average force of bands employed is three hundred men and boys,
and two hundred girls, to whom twenty-five thousand dollars are paid
monthly. About three thousand pounds of wool are consumed daily
and nearly five hundred paper boxes are required for packing hats.
The factory has a capacity to produce six hundred dozen of wool hats
and one hundred dozen fur hats per day.
The Waring Manufacturing Company was organized under the
general Manufacturing law of the State of New York in 1866, and suc-
ceeded to the business established by John T. Waring in 1849, and which
was carried on by him and his brother, Charles Edward Waring, since
1856, under the firm style of John T. Waring & Co. The officers of
the Company are at present JOHN T. WARING, President; CHARLES E.
WARING, Treasurer; who with W. C. WARING, SAMUEL SHETHAR, and
EDWARD A. NICHOLS, are the Trustees.
All the hats manufactured by this company, are sold through the
house in New York of
Shethar, Nichols & Co., 548 Broadway,
The original and we believe the only commission house for the sale of
Hats in the United States. This firm are the successors of Swift, Hurlbut
& Co., who for many years held a leading position in the trade. Mr.
Shethar entered this house as a lad and displayed such aptitude for the
calling, that, after passing through the successive grades of commercial
advancement, he became a partner. Mr. Nichols has the advantage of
being a practical hatter, and was also a member of the firm of Swift,
Hurlbut & Co. In 1861 this firm was dissolved and was succeeded by
that of Shethar & Nichols, who commenced business at 65 Broadway,
from which they removed to 265 Canal street.
It had been the practice of their predecessors to employ Hat manu-
facturers in Newark, New Jersey, and in Connecticut, to work up mate.
502


Go up to Top of Page