University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution ; and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Boston,   pp. 276-312 ff.


Page 303

THE ADAMS SUGAR REFINERY.
: )0)
vised by him. The Rubber machinery in use has had the benefit of
his mechanical genius. Among his latest inventions is a new Elevator,
very simple and effective, in which the friction of a wooden roller serves
a purpose hitherto accomplished by a more complicated apparatus.
Mr. Chubbuck's sons, who arc associated with him in the firm, share
their father's fondness for intricacies in machinery, and are efficient
coadjutors in the business.
The Adams Sugar Refinery,
In South Boston, is, with one exception, the largest in the United
States, and in its appointment is one of the most noteworthy in the
world. The ground on which it is built, containing about ninety
thousand square feet, was rescued from the sea by the enterprise of
Seth Adams, Esq., and, though the offspring of individual effort, the
structure resembles in vastness and solidity those erected by the great
corporations at Lowell and Lawrence.
In the summer of 1858 the work of building thA sea wall was com-
menced ; twelve thousand piles were driven, and inside the sea wall a
filling of five thousand squares of gravel was deposited, over which a
heavy granite foundation was laid.  On this the superstructure of
brick was erected, the walls being three feet in thickness at the base
and ninety feet high, requiring the enormous quantity of five millions
five hundred thousand brick-in the laying of which were used forty
cargoes of sand, four thousand five hundred casks of lime, and fif-
teen hundred casks of cement. The main building is one hundred and
eighteen fet long by eighty feet deep, and nine stories in beight. The
floors, which are either of iron, stone, or brick, are supported by one
hundred and sixty-two large iron columns. In addition to the main
building, there is a storehouse for raw Sugars two hundred feet long
by fifty feet deep ; also a storehouse, five stories high, for Refined
Sugar ; a charcoal house, one hundred and thirty by forty-cight feet,
with a chimney one hundred and twenty feet high ; a detached boiler
house, sixty-four by fifty-four feet, with a chimney one hundred and
twenty feet in height; and several other buildings of various sizes for
purposes incidental to the establishment.
The main building is divided by a brick wall into two separate de-
partments, the first division, which is eighty-six by fifty-six feet, being
devoted exclusively to the Sugar after it leaves the pans. The Raw
Sugar is first melted, then conveyed by pipes into the upper story,


Go up to Top of Page