University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of Paterson,   pp. 222-236


Page 231

MANUFACTURES OF PATERSON.
can twistthem. It appears almost impossible that the article could endure
such a test; but it never gives way. This process gives the finished
article a beautiful lustre which it would not otherwise receive. This
firm have been remarkably successful in their Dyeing Department,
which is under the superintendence of a Macclesfield dyer of long ex-
perience.
Mr. Ryle has been a benefactor to Paterson, not only in estab-
lishing a new branch of manufactures of great importance, but in
promoting civic improvements tending to increase the attractions of the
city as a place of residence. The Waterworks, which furnish the city
with an abundant supply of pure water, were erected mainly through
his means and exertions, and the grounds around the " Cottage on the
Cliff" and the Falls, that afford a delightful breathing place to the citi-
zens, especially the operatives in the factories, were adorned by him
and thrown open freely to the public.
The Dale Manufacturing Company
Have recently erected at Paterson the largest Silk manufactory in this
country, and, it is said, larger than any single establishment of the
kind in Europe. The Company was incorporated in 1864, the princi-
pal stockholders being members of the firm of Thomas N. Dale & Co.,
who were formerly leading importers of Sewing and other Silks in New
York city, and who were the first to engage in the sale of Tailor's
Trimmings as a specialty in which they are yet the principal dealers,
having branch houses in Paris, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati. In 1861,
the change in the Tariff, and other circumstances, rendered the impor-
tation of Sewing Silks unprofitable, and the firm engaged in the manu-
facture at Paterson, in a small way, producing the same qualities they
had previously imported, and so successfully, that their facilities were
soon inadequate to supply the demand. In 1864, therefore, Mr. Dale
purchased one hundred city lots, twenty-four of which were opposite
the Paterson depot of the Erie Railroad, and from his own designs pro-
ceeded to erect a manufactory which should be a model for all others.
The principal mill is two hundred and seventy-five feet in length, forty-
eight feet wide, and four stories in height, with a centre projection one
hundred feet in length, and auxiliary buildings, including a Dye-house
and an Engine and Boiler house, a Blacksmith and Machine shop. The
aggregate floor superficies is nearly seventy-five thousand square feet.
To insure the requisite strength and prevent vibration by the action of
the machinery, the walls are built twenty inches thick, of substantial
231


Go up to Top of Page