University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of New York and Brooklyn,   pp. 119-216

Page 130

machines, air, and other engines of Captain Ericsson, have all been
constructed by the workmen of this establishment, superior facilities
being enjoyed here for the purpose.
The Delamater Works occupy a space of 'two hundred feet fronting
the North river, with a front of six'hundred feet on Thirteenth street,
and an equal space on Fourteenth street; as well as additional grounds
on the south side of Thirteenth street, with a front of two hundred feet,
by one hundred deep.   The establishment is furnished with every
requisite for building all kinds and varieties of machinery, besides sta-
tionary and marine engines, such as sugar-house machinery, machinery
for water-works, etc., the proprietor having had considerable experience
in most of these departments of mechanical engineering. There have
at times been from one thousand to twelve hundred workmen, of all
classes, employed here, the wages averaging during the past year
$11,000 per week, equal to $572,000 paid for labor alone in twelve
months. When the whole expense of conducting such Works is taken
into account, and that the sum mentioned as paid for labor alone is but
a fraction of the whole amount, it seems wonderful that such extensive
operations should have been so successfully conducted under the pro-
prietorship of a single individual. Most, if not all the large Marine
Engine Works of New York, are conducted by corporations or firms
comprising several partners; but the Delamater Iron-Works have
achieved distinguished triumphs in engineering under the direction of
a single proprietor possessing a mind of great executive and financial
The Morgan Iron-Works-George W. Quintard, Proprietor,
Located at the foot of Ninth street, on the East river, are another of
the noted Marine Engine Works of New York. They date their origin
from 1838, when T. F. Secor, Charles Morgan, and William H.
Calkin, trading under the firm-style of T. F. Secor & Company, leased
eight lots of ground at that location, and erected buildings suitable for
the construction of engines, boilers, and machinery of all kinds. The
first marine engines built here were for the steamer Savannah, and the
steamboat Troy, of the Troy line. In November, 1841, the Works
were partially destroyed by fire, but were soon rebuilt. The business
of building engines was prosecuted with such success, that in 1846 the
facilities were found to be entirely inadequate to accommodate the in-
creased demand, and the entire block bounded by Ninth and Tenth
streets, Avenue D and the East river, was purchased, an the Works

Go up to Top of Page