University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

Manufactures of New York and Brooklyn,   pp. 119-216


Page 129

THE DELAMATER IRON-WORKS.
ence in 1842, at the well and favorably known Phmnix Foundry,' in
West street, between Hubert and Vestry streets, which dated back to
1835.
The Delamater Works are distinguished for their capacity to build
very heavy machinery, and have built larger cylinders than have
thus far been cast and finished at any other foundry in existence.
The original air engines of the caloric ship Ericsson were constructed
here, which had eight cylinders-four of which each measured one hun-
dred and sixty-eight inches, or fourteen feet in diameter ; and the four
others one hundred and twenty inches, or ten feet ; the former having
at least fifty-six inches greater diameter than that of any cylinder that
was ever cast, finished, and put in a ship. In 1855, the firm was dis-
solved, Mr. Hogg retiring, and Mr. Delamater remaining to conduct the
business as sole proprietor. Under his administration the Works pros-
pered, and rapidly increased in reputation for the excellent character
of the work finished there. As occasion required, the establishment
was enlarged, new tools were added, and every facility obtained that
was necessary to build light or heavy machinery, with the highest
degree of perfection, in the shortest possible space of time. During
the late Rebellion, the Navy Department of the United States Govern-
ment derived very substantial aid from the skill and enterprise of this
establishment. It was here that the machinery of the original Monitor
was built ; and the entire hull, turrets, and machinery of the iron-clad
Dictator were also constructed here. The magnitude of the under-
taking will be best understood, when it is stated that the Dictator's
dimensions are three hundred and twenty feet long, fifty feet wide, and
twenty feet depth of hold. Her engines have two upright cylinders,
one hundred inches each in diameter, and six return flue boilers. The
screw propeller is twenty-one feet six inches in diameter, with a pitch
of thirty-two feet. The steam machinery and turrets of the Kalamazoo
and Passaconomy, .as well as the motive power bf several of the
iron-clads known to the public as the Monitor class, of which the
Passaic may be taken as a representative, was built here, because no-
where else could they have been constructed within the time required
by the government. A number of iron steamers were also constructed
at these Works, among which the Matanzas is regarded as a vessel that
reflects great credit upon her builders. Since 1842, the experimental
(1) The Phoenix Foundry, previous to cut off steam by the detachment of the
1842, was conducted by Mr. James Cun- inlet steam valve, an invention of P. logg,
ningham, an engineer of unusual skill, then an apprentice, in 1839. Previous to
who contributed largely to the development that date, independent cut-offs in the
of river marine engines, and was the first to steam pipes were exclusively used.
129


Go up to Top of Page